Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Jan 6, 2010, 11:59 PM
    starting an online ceramic business
    what I need, is a little more information on what I need to do to get started.

what is the best way to actually sell items online? Have a shopping cart set up? Have people email with orders?

if I do get a shopping cart set up, how do I go about putting it together? Are there sites I would have to host it through?

how do I calculate shipping when pieces will have varying weights?

do I need a business license or permit or anything? Would have to charge, and pay, sales tax?

should I set up a different web site, or would using the one I already have work just as well? (the link is in my sig)

and, finally, when it is set up, can I count on at least a couple orders from people on here? ^_~
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2010, 01:41 AM
    Hi, hheath541!

My responses are in blue.

Quote Originally Posted by hheath541 View Post
    what i need, is a little more information on what i need to do to get started.

what is the best way to actually sell items online? have a shopping cart set up? have people email with orders?

You could have a PayPal account for orders. A shopping cart would work also, if it can be set-up on your current site. Email would work too. If you want to sell, you need as many ways as possible for people to find what you have to sell, and also make it convenient for customers to purchase from you.

if i do get a shopping cart set up, how do i go about putting it together? are there sites i would have to host it through?

I'm not sure about those things. I'm also exploring the same possibilities.

how do i calculate shipping when pieces will have varying weights?

Your shipping charges would be calculated by the service that you use to ship. You could probably get a chart of how much it would cost from the service that you would use.

do i need a business license or permit or anything? would have to charge, and pay, sales tax?

You would need to check with the region or state where you live concerning those things. I don't know where you live, so it's hard to be specific.

should i set up a different web site, or would using the one i already have work just as well? (the link is in my sig)

Using multiple websites and free advertising sites can really work to your advantage. It does for my businesses. You need the most exposure that you can get.

and, finally, when it is set up, can i count on at least a couple orders from people on here? ^_~
    Please click on the following links.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/service-trade/

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/servic...rd-190507.html

I think it would be allowed, to a certain extent here, as long as you're an established member with 200+ posts.

If you need some advice with how to get the optimum exposure on the Internet, please let me know on this thread.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2010, 10:46 PM
    I hope that you'll be returing to here, hheath541!

I'm online now...
    Experts

Jan 7, 2010, 11:16 PM

I've never bothered to look at that forum before, so I was completely unaware that I could advertise on here. That's a really good idea, especially keeping it limited to active members. Once everything is set up and I'm actually producing pieces, I'll be sure to let everyone know and post a thread with a link to the web site.

Your answers really are a big help. I can now narrow a few things down further, and hopefully have everything worked out by the time the physical premises are ready.

I'm in Ohio. What would I search for to find out about internet business laws? Would I just search 'ohio internet business laws?'
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2010, 12:17 AM
    I'm sorry that it took me so long to return to here! I started to have computer problems.

I would suggest checking out the following sites concerning the laws for operating any kind of business in Ohio that also might branch out between states and beyond.

Welcome to Ohio.gov

Ohio Business Gateway | Staying Compliant

There are other sites that pertain to Ohio. But, those are the two that I thought would be the first ones that would be good to try.

I found them on the following search.

Ohio Business Laws - Google Search

Do you know if your site currently gets good exposure when people do searches for what you do and make?
    Experts

Jan 8, 2010, 08:41 PM

Thanks. I have a few links saved now for reference. I even found a few others using your search as a jumping point.
    Experts

Jan 8, 2010, 08:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Do you know if your site currently gets good exposure when people do searches for what you do and make?
    Most of the hits come from here or other places I have posted my link. Several have come from people clicking on my images from Google images. Only a few hits came from someone searching Google, and they were searching for photography.
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2010, 10:25 PM
    Please click on the following links. Most of what you'll find for a number of pages will be about what I do. I have many titles that I use.

Link One

Link Two
    I'm the "Absolute" one and most if not all of the listings for a number of pages in the search.

Link Three

Link Four

Link Five

Link Six

Would you like to get that same kind and amount of exposure?

Thanks!
    Experts

Jan 8, 2010, 10:46 PM

It'd be nice to get more traffic, and eventually turn it into business, than I am currently getting.

Right now I'm just working on the theoretical stages. I don't want to get too ahead of myself, and end up with orders I can't fill until the kiln is fully operational.

I have absolutely no problem collecting ideas, however. The more ideas I have, the more I have to compare and see what works best for me.
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2010, 10:59 PM
    Are you interested in knowing the sites that I use that get the best exposure?
    Experts

Jan 8, 2010, 11:24 PM

absolutely ^_^
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2010, 12:28 AM
    The following would be the first site to join. If you word things correctly, you can appear on the first page in a Google search within minutes!

Everything from Everywhere

There are quite a few other sites that I'd like to share with you. But, the way that you post on some of them is important, because some of the sites are really particular about the way things are posted.

You can change the ads on any of the sites that I'll suggest to you. The idea is to get people to come to your site to see what you have to offer. You can also post a link to your site on most of the sites that I'll suggest.

Here's a link to what I have on hoobly.com. clough: Hoobly profile

If you study how I've worded ads, you'll get an idea as to how to word yours.
    Experts

Jan 9, 2010, 02:02 PM

Thanks. I'll hold off posting until I have the business end of things more worked out.
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2010, 10:32 PM
    Okay, thanks!

Would you please let me know here when you'll be wanting to do that?
    Experts

Jan 9, 2010, 11:04 PM

Of course. You've given me lots to think about. Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Online business [ 5 Answers ]

I read some questions about online business. Actually I am also thinking for some online business, but I think there is no free online business(I mean without spending money). There is data entry which I think can be done from home through internet. I tried Google search but always end up with...

How can I do a business online? [ 5 Answers ]

I need to make a business online

Where can I find online a ceramic hand painted sealife hanging mobile? [ 2 Answers ]

Where can I find online a ceramic hand painted sealife (w/seahorses, tropical fish & dolphins) hanging mobile?:confused:

View more questions Search