Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Plien Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2006, 11:47 AM
    Options?
    I got into an ajustable rate mortgage 2 years ago. The rate was 7.3%, which, at the time was the best I could get with my bad credit. Now, the rate has jumped to 10.3% and I'm being told it will jump to 13.3% in another 6 months. I already could barely afford the payments before the first jump in cost. Also, my wife had an accident at work and is on disability leave due to back surgery. We get workman comp pay, but it is about $300 less per month than her normal pay. At this point, I'd just as soon get out of the house and rent something for about $500 less per month. Unfortunately, because of the re-finance 2 years ago, we actually owe more than we could get for the house if we could sell it. There are a large number of houses in our neighborhood that are for sale, and nothing is moving, so, selling it is not going to be a quick and easy fix, even if we could get the bank to let us short-sell. I can't see how to avoid a foreclosure on this. Advice?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 16, 2006, 11:51 AM
    Have you tried another refinance to lower the mortgage. If you can't do that then your options are very limited. The only possibility is borrowing from relatives and use that money to increase the equity in your home to help with a refinance. Hopefully you can then hold out until you can sell for a good price or until your income increases.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 16, 2006, 02:20 PM
    Yes a refinance now if you have been payig on time.

The same company that has it on an adjustable, should be glad to refinace once they know you are going to.

But sadly you have no idea of the number of people who get forclosed on every day because of adjustable rate mortages. They are not designed to be keep over 2 years and then always a refinance. Or at least one with caps over several years.
    DiTryin Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2006, 12:37 PM
    Contact a mortgage broker and see if they can help you. Because they represent 15 or more lenders, they should be able to get you into a more affordable mortgage.

Plus, appraisals on refinances tend to come in for a bit higher than on purchases.

As far as short sale goes - you would have to find a buyer. That alone would be tricky since you're not in a "hot" market. If all the other houses aren't selling, they'll see it's not a good investment. Then you have to hope the mortgage company will go for it.

Since you're trying to rebuild your credit, you really don't want a foreclosure on your credit so try to avoid it if you can.

And avoid all those "We buy houses" ads. Do a search online for them and you'll see what a nightmare they are and why they're called "cement lifejackets."

Good luck!

Diane

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k options [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I have recently decided that I no longer trust the stock market. I am wondering what options I have... Is there any way to convert a 401k to cash or gold and not accrue the penalties & taxes immediately (ie held by a neutral party)? Thank you

Invisalign-other options? [ 6 Answers ]

Has anyone used it? What do you think? I had braces for yrs, wore the head gear, retainers and all that. Now at 23 my teeth are shifting again and I have to see an orthodontist-I refuse to get braces , and I've heard about this. Any other options? Thanks! :D

Internet options [ 2 Answers ]

Windows xp sp 2 Under the connection setting in the internet options where you can chose to auto detect settings mine keeps changing to the prox server setting by itself and then pages don't seem to work right I change it to auto seems all right till I am online again then it has chnaged to...

What are my options? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a B.A. in accounting and business (1996). I currently work for $11 an hour in the medical field processing Medicare/Medicaid claims for a private doctor. I would like to earn more money but am uncertain of the possibilities. Do you have any suggestions? I have considered starting my own...

View more questions Search