Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wideners Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2006, 10:56 AM
    Cascading lookup fields...
    Want to use the form frmCardDetails to populate tblCards. Want to select the sport from a lookup field linked to tblSports and then the League from tblLeagues, BUT only displaying the leagues that are included in that sport.

I have looked at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/209595/en-us and can't seem to make it work. Please advise.

My database is attached...

Brice
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: zip SportsCards.zip (11.8 KB, 177 views)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 16, 2006, 11:33 AM
    First, your table structure needs some work. Using text fields, especially names, for primary keys is not recommended. You should use an autonumber field for your PKs. You also should have a table for player and another table for cards, linked on PlayerID. People names should be broken down into at least first and last. I generally use 5 fields for people names. Finally, you don't need BOTH sport and league as Foreign keys in the Cards table. Since the league is specific to a sport, you can get the sport from the link between league and sport.

I don't see where you tried to implement the instructions in that article. There are no comboboxes on that form.

I suggest that you make the design changes I suggested and then try to implement the instructions. If you don't get it to work, then post a revised copy of your database with what you have done and we will try to help further.
    wideners Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2006, 12:26 PM
    I understand that there are issues. This is just a sampling of the database. I actually tried following the directions on the MS site with the northwinds db and get the same results. I pick the first field and the second field is just empty. Is there something missing from their directions, like row source or something? I don't get it...

Brice
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 16, 2006, 12:54 PM
    I just reviewed the article. It tells you to create 2 combos and shows you how to set the properties for them. It then tells you to add code to set the Rowsource of the second combo.

Since there are no combos on the form in your sample, I have no idea how you tried to make this work or what you did wrong. If you want my help, then you will need to follow my suggestions. Before you can start building forms, you need to get your table structure set correctly. Otherwise you will be wasting time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maple tree roots and septic fields [ 1 Answers ]

My home is in a new sub and the association has planted a maple tree in the peninsula between the side walk and street. The concern I have is that my septic field is about fifteen feet away from where the tree is. How deep do the roots grow? Should I take this tree out and plant a different type of...

View more questions Search