Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Jan 6, 2010, 12:14 PM
    What's with the nipping.
    I have a three year old mixed, small dog who has become very nippy, but only with my husband.

He was a rescued dog, had a lot of problems, most of which have been cleared up and corrected. He's normally a very loving, cuddly, happy little guy.

When my husband gets up in the morning, the dog will race toward him, and nip at his heels, then dart back to bed. It has come to having to close the door when husband gets up.

When my husband is laying on the couch watching TV, if he gets up to go to the bathroom, or to bed, same thing. The dog will nip at him, and dart back under my feet, or very close to me.

My husband can even just be picking up a piece of the newspaper, and that little change, the dog will behave like he's going to nip him again.

He does not actually bite.

We had a similar problem with him over his food for a while. If my husband went anywhere near his food dish, he's nip at him, but we figured that was because he spent nearly the entire first year of his life in a cat carrier, and was not nourished properly.

We have tried with the 'bad dog', and 'go lay down' (which he does), but nothing we can do or think of changes, or gives any understanding of his behaviour.

Any ideas?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2010, 08:33 PM

If he is a rescue it can be hard as you don't know his past but to me it sounds like he might have had a problem with men in the past.

Some friends of mine just 'rescued' a Husky from some other friends of ours... the 'friends' that had him originally did not treat him well, the man would grab the dog by the collar and drag him around. This has now become a problem with his new owners because he tries to bite whenever a man tries to touch his collar.

I would suggest some one on one training between your husband and the dog.
    You can enrol in obedience classes or even just get your husband to take the dog down to the park on his own. The dog needs to learn that your husband is also above him in the family, not just you and obedience is a great way to start the process.
    You can just get him to teach him a few basic commands (sit, drop stay etc) and just walk him around.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Kitten nipping [ 3 Answers ]

Our little kitten, has a nasty habit of nipping, he gets a piece of skin in between those two little fangs of his, it really hurts and he just can't seem to get it into his head that it is not allowed, he bites hard enough he breaks the skin, he'll chew on you like a hambone you give him the...

Bunny behavior - licking and nipping [ 49 Answers ]

As most of you know I have 3 beautiful bunnies... My two Mini lops are not the most sociable creatures and generally just come up and sniff you then hop away... My Dwarf lop however loves scratches. I was scratching along her back today (something I haven't done before, I usually stick...

Rabbit Nipping me.friendly? [ 7 Answers ]

I have a beautiful little rabbit who is nearly full grown (not sure how old she is) She is extremely friendly and when we go outside to pick her up she runs to the side of the cage and puts her paws on the side waiting until we pick her up. She grooms me while I am holding her and is an overall...

Getting a divore what's mine and what's not? [ 3 Answers ]

Been married for five yrs two kids one is 4yrs and the other is 1 ,got a house 1 week before we got married and I never got my name on put on the deed.but have been helping with the mortgage the whole time,she makes a lot more money than I do and I also caught her in an affair with her ex...

Puppy nipping other dogs [ 1 Answers ]

My 9 week old puppy of course is teething and nipping when playing. But I get nervous when he's playing with other dogs and is jumping and play nipping at them. The other dogs will start to growl etc... What do I do? Should I pick him up and stop him or let the other dog tell him no. (The dogs I...

View more questions Search