Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gladyskitty Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2010, 09:22 AM
    Can a college age student of a diabled parent receive help for college?
    I am a fully disabled parent and wonder if my healthy 19 year old is eligible for financial assitance for college?
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2010, 10:25 AM

Probably. Your child needs to make friends with the financial aid office. He or she will need to fill out the fafsa and submit a copy of your tax return, and theirs if they have one. The people in your child's school's financial aid office will be the best people to ask what else your child might be eligible for and any specific questions you might have about filling out the fafsa. And your child should also be looking into scholarships.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2010, 10:34 AM

You should look into A Pell Grant. I remember my friend got one and his mother was disabled. Not sure how it all works but here is a link to start you off.

Federal Pell Grant Program
    Mr._Pickle Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2011, 04:04 PM
    There is no additional funding other than Pell grants for children of disabled parents. I am disabled and have a daughter in college and have checked this fact thoroughly.
    Mr._Pickle Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2011, 04:08 PM
    Comment on Mr._Pickle's post
    And all students meeting certain income guidelines qualify for nonrepayment Pell grants with a maximun of $5250.00 per college yrear paid once each semester paid directly to the student to spend exactly as they wish.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2011, 05:02 PM

mr. pickle, please pay attention to the dates of posts. This post is a year old and the OP has never come back.

Financial aid varies a lot from state to state, and even school to school. For example, in my state I'm able to get a federal grant and a grant from the state. And then my brother goes to a different school and he gets state and federal aid and has some sort of aid through the school itself too. That's why it's always best to fill out the fafsa and talk to the people in the financial aid office and look for scholarships.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who claims my college student? Her parent or herself? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I have a question. My daughter is 22 years old. She lives at home for free, and I pay her medical insurance. She is a full time student. She pays for her college and school loans. She also works full time and made over $33,000 in 2008. Do I claim her as a dependent, or does she claim...

Single parent needs college tuition [ 4 Answers ]

My sister is a single parent living in Missouri and she is trying to pursue a degree in RN and would like to know besides Financial Aids what other scholarships or grants that are out there for a single parent?

College student w/o w-2 but can I file tax to get college tuition credits back? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a college student with no job income(no W-2 form) but do have few dollars of interest earned from saving account(1099-INT form). I know I do not have to file tax return since the income is extremely low. But I heard if I file tax return then I can get few hundreds of college tuition...

We are co-signers for college age daughter's student loan - tax credit? [ 1 Answers ]

Our daughter goes to school out of state. Part of her tuition is paid through scholarships, part is through federal student loans (through FAFSA) and part is through a bank collegiate loan in her name co-signed by us. She doesn't have any income. Can we claim this on our joint return or does...

How to well in college being a new student [ 4 Answers ]

I am a new student at a junior college taking 4 classes. How do you study for them? Do I just study each class a little a day, or what? I am confused with How I will get all A's. It's a little overwhelming. Thanks

View more questions Search