Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tusharm94 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2010, 06:05 AM
    I want to know actually potential difference is?
    Is it just like diffusion gradient which results in osmosis or is it something else? Moreover also when we go accroding to ohm's law current is directly propertional to potential difference, but our teacher today taught us power transmission and he said
    P=VI in which if V is more then I is loss and so the energy loss, but how I has become inversely proportional to V here??
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 6, 2010, 07:43 AM

I'm having a hard time following yyour question, but I think you're asking about how Ohm's Law (V = IR) and the power equation (P=VI) work together.

The thing to keep in mind is that with Ohm's Law you can see how V and I vary for a constant load R. But for power you see how V and I vary for a constant power P, but NOT with a constant load R. If you want to keep P constant, then the only way to vary either V or I is to change the load R.

For DC circuits you can combine the two equations to express power as a function of either V or I:

P = I^2 R, or
    P = V^2/R

Keeping P constant, if you double V then R must go up by a factor of 4. Then you see that I must be cut in half. Ohm's Law does indeed apply, but because you had to vary R by such a large amount to keep P constant what you find is that V and I vary inversely.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2010, 10:57 AM

Yes, ebaines' right. Strange as it seems, that's how electricity works.

The diffusion gradient and osmosis are in biology.

Diffusion occurs along the diffusion gradient, but active transport goes against the diffusion gradient.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Regarding potential energy [ 1 Answers ]

The potential energy question-? The potential energy of a particle in a certain field is given by U=a/r^2 - b/r where a and b are +constants and r is the distance from the centre of the field. The distance of particle in the stable equilibrium position is- 1) a/b 2) -a/b 3) 2a/b 4) -2a/b

Potential investors needs [ 4 Answers ]

We have potential investors looking into our company. What financial information will they want to see. Will they want to see monthly financials over a specific time? Or only year end financials?

Potential difference [ 1 Answers ]

Calculate the potential difference across each resistor in parallel. 12v dc supply, 10 ohms (R) 5 ohms(R)?

Potential problem [ 11 Answers ]

So are 6 month old Lab has been sharing a bed with us for 2 weeks now. We have also started obedience classes about the same time. The issue is that he does not get off the bed when we ask him to. We literally have to pick him up off the bed. OK so we thought that was cute and all. This morning he...

Potential suppliers [ 1 Answers ]

How do I rite a letter to potential suppliers

View more questions Search