Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CuriousGeorge2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2010, 04:03 PM
    What is the IRS fine ($) for not 1099 getting a 1099 from a contractor?
    I know a 1099 is needed for anyone paid over $600, but what if, for argument sake, one cannot 1099 the contractor because they refuse or don't have a SS#, etc. What are the penalties for this beside not being able to expense the transaction? What does the IRS do?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 5, 2010, 04:23 PM

You were required to get W-9 from the contractor before making the first payment.
    MLSNC Posts: 158, Reputation: 17

Jan 5, 2010, 10:05 PM

In most cases it is $50 for each 1099 not filed. I believe the Service can also fine you an additional $50 if you do not have the Soc. Sec. No. In that case it would be $100 for each 1099 not filed. However, a flagrant violation could result in additional penalties. And by not having the W-9 with the Soc. Sec. No. the IRS may argue the you should have withheld taxes on the payments (backup withholding) and now they want their money.
    kfoltz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2011, 09:36 PM
    You should have requested the information necessary to complete the 1099, when you hired the person to do the workand not after-the-fact. If you were audited, I think the penality is not very severe for non-reporting a 1099. It could be under $100 per occurrence.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1099 Contractor or W-2 Employee [ 3 Answers ]

I am an Independent Insurance Agent. I am considering finding a telemarketer (stay at home mom or college student) to set my appointments. I will not be offering any type of benefits and the pay will be based on the appointments set. At the end of the week I would provide the person with my...

How do I become a 1099 contractor? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in New Hampshire and have recently been hired as a 1099 contractor for the job of my dreams. I earned money last year, 2007, as a 1099 contractor but would like to make it official so I can put money into Social Security and cover myself legally. How do I become a 1099 contractor in...

1099 from the IRS [ 6 Answers ]

I received a 1099 from the IRS stating that I had $15 Interest paid or credited to me. I don't ever remember getting $15 from them, yet I have to claim it as income. How can I find out if it was credited to me, and can I subtract it from what I owe? Does it get reported just like any other...

1099 for contractor [ 1 Answers ]

Here is the situation. 1. Company "ABC. Inc", a S corporation has performed service to another company "123, Inc". 2. ABC company send invoice to 123 company for the service. 3. ABC company asked 123 company to issue the check to the individual name of the ABC company's officer, owner. ...

Incorporated Vs 1099 Contractor [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am trying to know the differences in tax that an individual would pay as an independent contractor vs being incorporated. I am on OPT now and would convert to H-1 in OCtober. I got an offer from a company and would like me to be incorporated. My total estimated income would be close...

View more questions Search