Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lisa Owens Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2010, 12:02 PM
    You are NOT the father
    In TENNESSEE if DNA testing proves your not the father, Can the court make/order you pay Child Support? Answer needed ASAP PLEASE
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 5, 2010, 02:17 PM

This thread belongs in the Family Law section.

Were you married to the mother at the time the child was born? Did you ever acknowledge paternity?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 5, 2010, 02:19 PM
    Moved and retitled.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Jan 5, 2010, 08:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Owens View Post
    In TENNESSEE if DNA testing proves your not the father, Can the court make/order you pay Child Support? Answer needed ASAP PLEASE
    Tn moved its legislation and if DNA test shows the man is not the father,he will be free from his child support obligation.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 5, 2010, 08:21 PM

But the DNA test will have to be from a approved lab, and it will have to be presented to the court.
    Family Law Expert

Jan 5, 2010, 08:31 PM

Synopsis of Coppage v Green /.COURT OF APPEALS OF TENNESSEE/

The child at issue was born in 1990.
    In 1997, the juvenile court entered an order establishing the petitioner as the child’s father. Eight years later, the petitioner took an independent DNA test which indicated that he was not the child’s biological father. The petitioner then filed a petition to disestablish his parentage of the child, attaching the results of the independent DNA test to his petition. After a hearing, the juvenile court referee recommended court-approved DNA testing to prove or disprove the petitioner’s parentage.
    This recommendation was confirmed by the juvenile court judge. The respondent mother filed a motion for a rehearing before the juvenile court judge. The motion was granted. After a rehearing, the juvenile court judge dismissed the petitioner’s petition for court-ordered DNA testing to determine parentage. The petitioner now appeals. We reverse, determining that relief should be granted under these circumstances, and remand to the trial court for further proceedings
    Family Law Expert

Jan 5, 2010, 08:42 PM

I found it very interesting:
    Tn 36-2-309. Tests to determine parentage

(b) The state of Tennessee, its officers, employees, agents or contractors shall not be liable to any person for, nor be ordered to refund to any person, any moneys received pursuant to an order entered pursuant to this part that is subsequently set aside by the court due to a finding of non-paternity of the person previously adjudicated as the child's father. Nothing in this subsection (b) shall preclude the issuance of a judgment against the mother or actual biological father of the child or children in favor of the person subsequently found not to be the father of a child or children.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Father and father-in-law have chronnic illnesses. Do we wait for kids? [ 4 Answers ]

I don't know if I'm posting this in the right forum... Okay so I'm going to try to keep this short and bless all of you who read this whole thing, I know you don't know anything about my life but I'm just wanting to get some different viewpoints on this choice that me and my boyfriend are being...

Big paternity mess legal father is not bio father [ 29 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I broke up I had a one night stand with my ex. Called my boyfriend the next morning and told him about it. Two months later I found out I was pregnant. We went to the dr. asked the probable conception date and we were sure we slept together that day, but it was always slightly...

Father abandoned daughter one and a half years ago and step father wants to adopt [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question. My daughters father completely stopped contact with my daughter a year and a half ago. We were separated for eight years, Since then I have remarried and gone on with my life. He suddenly stopped all contact with her a year and a half ago, stopped child support about three...

View more questions Search