Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    olesong Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2006, 08:31 PM
    401(k) Withdrawal State Tax for Non-US Citizen
    I am a non-US citizen currently working in CA. I plan to early retire this year and move overseas. What should I do with my 401(k) money in order to minimize tax burden?

1) Should I rollover to IRA?
    2) From reading a few threads, I know that I will have to pay federal tax. Let's say I move back this year (2006). Withdraw money in 2008 when I will not be the resident of any state. Do I still have to pay state tax, in this case, CA tax?
    3) Can I avoid this by moving to Nevada before I leave the U.S. for good? Or I cannot because the 401(k) was accrued while I worked in CA.

Thank you for your help!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 16, 2006, 07:05 PM
    1) Roll it over to an IRA. That will give you more control on the timing of the withdrawal.

2) Once you establish residency in the foreign country, the state tax liaibility will no longer exists. Time the withdrawal accordingly.

3) Only if you establish Nevada state residency, which, for most states, require you move in for six months.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Non resident tax exemption for Italian citizen? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I am an Italian MD doing a research fellowship in one of the Harvard Medical School hospitals. I am here on a J-1 visa, arrived last June and leaving next July. I am filing my tax return now, and I don't know if I can apply for the exemption based on the treaty with Italy or not. I have...

Marriage law between a Turkish citizen and Greek citizen [ 0 Answers ]

To whom it may concern ı would like to find out if a Turkish citizen gets married in Greece with a Greek citizen does the Turkish citizen has to wait and remain in Greece until her residant permit arrives? Doesn't she aloud to travel abroad before the resident permit document arrives? How...

H1 + Out Of State Tax [ 1 Answers ]

I have always filed 1040NR until now. Because I was on F1 or OPT. 2005 was the year I entered into H1 status. So I guess now I have to file regular 1040. Right? Is there anything different for me since I am on H1? I hear since H1 is non resident I am exempt from social security and Medicare. Can I...

View more questions Search