Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tami slater Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2010, 12:40 PM
    What would make a 98 pontiac grand am with a 2.4 motor not start
    I have a pontiac grand am with a 2.4 motor I shut the car off and it won't start it won't even crank over will not do anything I have headlights radio and dash lights it just won't start I changed the silonoid and still nothing please help.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2010, 12:44 PM

It's time to replace the battery. The starter motor draws much more current than a few lights.

Jan 4, 2010, 03:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post
    It's time to replace the battery. The starter motor draws much more current than a few lights.

My husband put his battery in my car and it still won't start we had the starter checked and it id good any more suggestions would be appreciated
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2010, 03:35 PM

. Test all under hood and under dash fuses with a test light or multimeter:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145

. Perform tests in the link below:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post235560

Jan 4, 2010, 05:51 PM

He checked all that could it be the ignition switch and if so how do change it the car has air bags on the drivers side and passenger side
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2010, 06:23 PM

Sure it could be ignition switch--your tests should have revealed that or not.

Jan 4, 2010, 07:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post
    Sure it could be ignition switch--your tests should have revealed that or not.

We are not getting any power from the ignition switch to the starter but all the dash lights work when you turn the key there is nothing when we go out side they can jump the starter the silenoid kicks in but not the starter the starter and silenoid are good they were tested
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2010, 07:30 PM

Have you cleaned all connections to the starter motor and solenoid? If you did and you connected a jumper lead (12 AWG), or preferably a remote starter switch, between the positive battery terminal and the exposed “S” terminal on the solenoid, the starter motor should crank. If not, I would replace the starter motor. The ignition switch was by-passed and should not be a factor. Use your husband's known good battery in these tests.

Jan 4, 2010, 08:42 PM

The starter motor does crank and when they put it back on the car it doesn't work please help me I am at my wits end
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2010, 07:10 AM

Going back to basics, ensure battery cable and starter motor connections have been cleaned. Also, ensure all under hood and under dash fuses have been tested with a test light or multimeter. Visual examination is not good enough, since it does not check for "power through the fuse." Be thorough, since it will save a lot of time and money. Finally, examine the ignition switch wire, going to the solenoid, for a fusible link. It will look like a large lump in the wire. If it blew, it should be apparent.

My gut is that there may be a problem with the starter motor. It may crank sometimes, as it did when it was tested, but not every time. If the starter motor connections are clean, and you by-passed the ignition switch by jumping the starter motor, it should crank every time--no if, ands, or buts.

Jan 5, 2010, 07:46 AM

Thank you will look at that
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2010, 08:19 AM

Once you solve this problem, start using 5W-30 full-synthetic engine oil (e.g. Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum). During cold weather, particularly, synthetics are much easier on starter motors and batteries. There are a host of other benefits, as well.

Jan 9, 2010, 02:17 PM

Replaced the starter and the car still will not start have a new battery as well if you cross the starter it should crank the motor but it don't please help
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2010, 02:31 PM

Perform tests in the link below:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post235560

If the starter motor does not crank, as in Step 6, the problem is with the ignition switch, neutral start switch, or wiring.

Jan 9, 2010, 02:36 PM

We were told if we jumped the starter from the outside it should crank the motor when we did that the starter still didn't turn the motor my question is this should the motor still crank

Jan 9, 2010, 03:13 PM
    Where is the neutral start switch located

Jan 9, 2010, 03:37 PM

Do you have to take off the steering wheel to replace the ignition switch
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2010, 03:49 PM

No need to remove the steering wheel. It's much easier than that. You are replacing the switch, not the lock. Disconnect the negative battery cable, steering column cover, two screws attaching the ignition switch to the left side of the steering column, and remove switch. Install new ignition switch, tighten both screws, replace negative battery cable, and start car. Here's what the switch looks like and costs at AutoZone (LS643, $39.99):

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...&parentId=62-0

Enlarge the images.

I'm not sure where the neutral start switch is on your car. If you jump the new starter motor with your new battery, the starter motor has to crank.

Jan 9, 2010, 07:09 PM

The starter won't kick in for the motor to turn over even though I replaced the starter husband said when he bolts the starter to the motor and when he jumps the starter it sounds like bendix isn't kicking in but when the starter is off the motor and jumps it that way the bendix kicks in then don't know why it won't kick in when bolted to the motor
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2010, 07:22 PM

The problem may be with the over-running starter motor clutch. It sounds like you bought a rebuilt that is not any good. I'd exchange it for another.

Also, be sure to clean away all corrosion where the starter motor grounds; clean main grounding straps and apply dielectric grease. Clean all starter motor connections and apply dielectric grease.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2003 Pontiac Grand AM SE1 3.4 v6 won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2003 Pontiac Grand AM SE1 with the 3.4 v6 that won't start. I have replaced the battery, checked the new battery voltage, checked the alternator voltage, and checked the starter relay voltage and all were within normal limits. Looking around it seems that this is a common problem and is...

2001 pontiac grand am 2.4 liter won't start [ 12 Answers ]

I have a 2001 pontiac grand am 4 2.4 liter. I drove it home tonight (about 60 mile drive) and shut it off. Came back out about an hour later and drove it across town and shut it off again. It sat for about 2-3 hours. When I came back out to return home it would crank but not start. Cheacked...

Pontiac Grand Am turns over but want start. [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2001 Pontiac Grand am went to start it. It started then shut off now won't start just turns over and won't fire. All codes checked out good don't know what to do next please help.

2001 pontiac grand am won't start totally dead [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have the 2001 pontiac grand am and have continuously had the reset problem and the turn signals don't work all the time. Today, my car would not start at all. There were not lights, nothing. The car was totally dead. My battery is newer. I did have to reset a couple of days ago. Do...

View more questions Search