Jan 15, 2010, 08:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post
    There's only one coil on your car.

Thank you
    tami slater Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2010, 01:53 PM
    There's only one coil on your car.

I had the ignition module tested and it is good there are two coil packs on the car we are not getting any spark could both coils go out at the same time what should I do now

Jan 16, 2010, 02:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tami slater View Post
    i had the ignition module tested and it is good there are two coil packs on the car we are not getting any spark could both coils go out at the same time what should i do now

Is there anyway to test the plug in that goes into the module to see if I am getting any juice to the module if not should I just replace the icm and coils
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2010, 03:07 PM

Bench testing ICMs and coils is not reliable. Too often they test fine but don't work at all. I would install a new ICM and two new coil packs, if that's what you have. The AutoZone site shows only one coil for your engine and a coil pack housing. I recommend replacing ICMs and coils every 120,000 or 10 years, whichever comes first.

Jan 16, 2010, 04:04 PM
    Bench testing ICMs and coils is not reliable. Too often they test fine but don't work at all. I would install a new ICM and two new coil packs, if that's what you have. The AutoZone site shows only one coil for your engine and a coil pack housing. I recommend replacing ICMs and coils every 120,000 or 10 years, whichever comes first.

Is there any way I can test the end of the plug that goes into the module to see if there is juice going to the module
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2010, 04:22 PM

I'm not familiar enough with your car to say. You should consult a Haynes Manual, if you want to do that.

Jan 16, 2010, 08:11 PM
    I'm not familiar enough with your car to say. You should consult a Haynes Manual, if you want to do that.

Does the ignition relay have anything to with firing
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jan 17, 2010, 10:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tami slater View Post
    we replaced the ignition switch and the car will crank from the inside but will not start the motor jumps when you try and start it what could be the problem now could it be the ignition module
    The motor "jumps"?
    Has anyone checked to see if the engine is perhaps seized?

Jan 18, 2010, 02:59 PM

We put a new icm and coils on the car still not firing what now
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2010, 03:05 PM

Do you have spark?

Jan 18, 2010, 04:44 PM
    Do you have spark?

No
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2010, 05:52 PM

You need a Haynes Manual on your car and see what tests they recommend that we have not performed. I'm not that familiar with your car to get more specific than I have. Ensure all under dash and under hood fuses test OK with the test light or multimeter. Make sure you get the sense that the PCM (computer) is working.

Make sure your've performed the tests in the link below:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ml#post2123675

Sorry I can't offer more help.

Jan 18, 2010, 06:24 PM
    You need a Haynes Manual on your car and see what tests they recommend that we have not performed. I'm not that familiar with your car to get more specific than I have. Ensure all under dash and under hood fuses test OK with the test light or multimeter. Make sure you get the sense that the PCM (computer) is working. Sorry I can't offer more help.

That is OK thank you for all the help you have gave me my brother in law is going to test the sensors on sat or sun will let you know what we find out once again thank you
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jan 20, 2010, 07:18 PM

Please, read post # 49 on this thread.
    You won't have spark via the Crank Position Sensor (CPS) if the engine doesn't turn.
    Can you move the engine through an entire 360° revolution? As in: no mechanical damage internally?
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2010, 07:38 AM

Thought:

The anti-theft system may be preventing the car from starting. It would likely take the dealer to solve, if this is the situation.

Jan 21, 2010, 04:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich View Post
    You won't have spark via the Crank Position Sensor (CPS) if the engine doesn't turn.
    Can you move the engine through an entire 360° revolution? As in: no mechanical damage internally?

Yes
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jan 21, 2010, 09:01 PM
    Thought:

The anti-theft system may be preventing the car from starting. It would likely take the dealer to solve, if this is the situation.
    Correct-a-mundo!

You'll need someone locally with the tools and talents to finish this diagnosis.
    Then, all the bits and pieces will come together.

Jan 23, 2010, 08:16 PM

Where is the crank position sensor located on a 98 pontiac grand am with a 2.4 motor

Jan 23, 2010, 08:19 PM
    Correct-a-mundo!!

You'll need someone locally with the tools and talents to finish this diagnosis.
    Then, all the bits and pieces will come together.

How do I test to find out if it is the anti theft system would that also cause it not to have spark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2003 Pontiac Grand AM SE1 3.4 v6 won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2003 Pontiac Grand AM SE1 with the 3.4 v6 that won't start. I have replaced the battery, checked the new battery voltage, checked the alternator voltage, and checked the starter relay voltage and all were within normal limits. Looking around it seems that this is a common problem and is...

2001 pontiac grand am 2.4 liter won't start [ 12 Answers ]

I have a 2001 pontiac grand am 4 2.4 liter. I drove it home tonight (about 60 mile drive) and shut it off. Came back out about an hour later and drove it across town and shut it off again. It sat for about 2-3 hours. When I came back out to return home it would crank but not start. Cheacked...

Pontiac Grand Am turns over but want start. [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2001 Pontiac Grand am went to start it. It started then shut off now won't start just turns over and won't fire. All codes checked out good don't know what to do next please help.

2001 pontiac grand am won't start totally dead [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have the 2001 pontiac grand am and have continuously had the reset problem and the turn signals don't work all the time. Today, my car would not start at all. There were not lights, nothing. The car was totally dead. My battery is newer. I did have to reset a couple of days ago. Do...

View more questions Search