Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    doggie_poopie Posts: 252, Reputation: 19

Nov 15, 2006, 07:22 PM
    Leopard Gecko
    Anyone heard of not feeding your reptiles crickets that are found wild? I know some insects' exoskeleton can be too hard to digest. But someone told me the other day the Gecko could get worms? I just thought this was weird. I know large constrictors can get tapeworms from the mice or rats, but insects?
    Thanks
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Nov 16, 2006, 10:15 AM
    Hi DP,
    Yes, wild crickets, as well as grasshoppers, are very often hosts for certain species of tapeworm. Dogs and cats most often get them from ingesting fleas, another host.
    dragondog Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

Nov 1, 2007, 06:52 PM
    I think they can catch diseases or things to make our pets sick.
    petguy Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Jan 23, 2008, 10:59 AM
    I have worked with reptiles for awhile now and it is true that anything you feed your reptile/ pet from the wild has the risks of worms, digestibility problems. etc. One of the major problems is you don't know where the crickets/ bugs have been... if they come from an area that has been sprayed for pests, or any other poisons,, you have the risk of poising your reptile... so just go to your local pet store get some crickets, meal worms, Phoenix worms, wax worms, and you can also feed them fruit baby food 2x a week, fruits and vegetables... but have fun and remember to make sure he has a good humidity hut or some way to get moist... have fun...
    Petguy!!
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2008, 11:25 AM
    Yes, wild crickets, or anything else can be dangerous to your pet. And they can get worms from the crickets being in contact with grass that can have worm eggs on them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search