Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hansgreg Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2004, 11:07 AM
    Basement Rough in
    I am putting in a basement master bath. I am confused as to how to use a common vent for the Toilet and Bathtub.

Toilet is 3" Tub is 2". If I vent the toilet with a 3x3x2 T and the Tub enters just below the 3x3x2 T with a 3x3x2 Wye would the Tub be vented?

Or do I have to vent the tub before it gets to the 3" line?

Please help a novice plumber
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 1, 2004, 11:40 AM
    Basement Rough in
    Hi Hans, If you are planing a lavatory for your bathroom group then vent from the lavatory and pick up the tub off the lav drain before it ties into the main. That will vent the entire group. If it's just a tub and toilet then pick up the tub downstream from the 3X2X2 vent tee. More questions? I'm as close as a click. Good luck, Tom
    hansgreg Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2004, 12:31 PM
    Re: Basement Rough in
    Wow, Quick Response!

However, I'm somewhat confused... When you refer to Lavitory is that a sink?
    I think you are saying run the Tub with a 2x2 wye into the 2" vertical vent for the sink then into the 3" horizontal pipe? I'm not sure I have enough room to have the 3" pipe 2-4" below the 2" drain.

I guess I need to divulge more details....This is a full bathroom (sink, shower, whirpool, toilet) in a basement addition. I'm too far from the existing main (septic system) so I'm putting in a sewage ejector.

My problem is getting to an interior wall to vent.

My plumber friend tells me I need to vent the Tub within 3 1/2 feet assuming 1 1/2 inch lines. The overflow for the whirpool is 1 1/2, but I purchased a 2" trap, hoping this would let me vent the tub within 5 feet.

Minnesota code says the Toilet must be vented within 4 feet. I could vent the toilet in a wall if I curved the 3" waste pipe away from it's eventual destination.

What I thought we could do was to put a column in between the tub and toilet to hide a vent. We were going to put a glass block wall between the tub and toilet anyway. THe column is designed to hide a 4x4 post, so I don't have a lot of room.

The shower is 2 feet from an interior wall, so not a problem.

If I vent the tub just before it gets to the 3" line, the toilet would be vented through the 3x3x2" wye which I don't think would be acceptable, because a vent must be 45 deg or greater, and the wye would be close to horizontal.

If I vent the 3" line, and pickup the tub with a 3x3x2 wye just below, the tub would be (If I understand) wet vented for the foot or so back to the 3x3x2 T.

Still confused...
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 1, 2004, 01:15 PM
    Re: Basement Rough in
    Lavatory=Sink. [If I vent the 3" line, and pickup the tub with a 3x3x2 wye just below, the tub would be (If I understand) wet vented for the foot or so back to the 3x3x2 T. ]  That's correct.  Since you're going to have to vent the lavatory why not connect the whirlpool into the 2" lavatory drain.  Not the lav vent.  that will get  the whirlpool wet vented.  your tub ties into the 3" downstream from the vent.  The lav and whirlpool are vented through the lav vent and you could revent back on one of the vents to the vent you're taking through the roof.  Do not drop your pipe size below 2".  that gives you a 5' run and 1 1/2" chokes your drainage down.    Cheers Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement rough in [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to rough in plumbing in my basement for a full bath (toilet, sink, and shower). I live just outside of Chicago so I suspect the plumbing codes are the same as Chicago. Currently in my basement I have two sump pumps and pits, one pump takes care of the drainage around the foundation...

Basement rough in? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I just bought a house with a 3 piece rough-in in the basement. I am building a bathroom and as I prepare to do the framing work, I am wondering how much room do I leave from the rough-in toilet drain to the drywall? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike

Basement Rough-ins [ 3 Answers ]

I have a house that is 14 years old and it has rough in plumbing in the basement. One for the toilet and one for the shower. Also a stand pipe next to a wall which I assume is the vent. Does the rough in plumbing have the traps below the concrete flooring?

Basement rough [ 11 Answers ]

Hi there I have a question about 2 4" pipes coming out of basement slab... one is raised and on is flush... both ate capped and connect directly to street... I'm prettty sure raised one is clanot but not sure about other... both emmit strong gas when caps removed?

Basement rough-in: dap out [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, I've spent the last 3 hours trying to figure out if my roughed in bath is missing something or not and wondering if I am going to have to redo any of my framing. I have the 4" and 2" drains in the toilet area and a 12"x12" dap out for the tub. Well I took the cover off the dap out to take...

View more questions Search