Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    holdenon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2004, 09:35 AM
    Kitchen drain
    I've developed a leak in the kitchen drain. Naturally, it's behind sheetrock and insulation so I had to remove that. I've been told that the problem may have been caused by the use of black ABS pipe instead of PVC. Since this drain serves my dishwasher as well as the sink, it must handle water that is quite hot. Any truth to this theory of ABS vs. PVC?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 5, 2004, 11:11 AM
    Re: Kitchen drain
    To answer your question about ABS,  If the joints were properly prepared and glued you should have no leaks at all.  The discharge from the sink or dishwasher would have no effect on ABS, hot or cold.  Where is the leak located?  Some times a drywaller will run a screw into a plastic pipe.  It will hold water for a long time until the screw rusts out.  Then, years later a leak will appear.  Could that be what happened to you?   PVC is more ridged then ABS and less likely to delvelop a dip or a sag in the drainage lines run making it more acceptable to install.  You are the first person to question if the temperature of the discharge would have a detrimental effect.   Regards,  Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitchen sink drain [ 6 Answers ]

Maybe someone can help me figure out a new way to drain the kitchen sink. I have installed a new kitchen sink along with a garbage disposal. I am having problems with the drainage system. The drain is horizontal and is at a higher level than the discharge drain to the garbage disposal. Basically...

Kitchen Sink Won't Drain [ 11 Answers ]

I have a 1400 Sq Ft. House, on a Slab. Built in the late 1950's. We just recently had a problem occur on Dec. 22nd, my wife called me at work and said the main bathroom toilet just flooded from underneath the stool. She was just in there cleaning the bathroom. Then went and started a load of...

Kitchen sink drain [ 1 Answers ]

I dropped my earring down the kitchen sink. Anyway, I proceeded to take the drain pipes apart to find it. My earring was long gone. I put the pipes back together, and now the water won't go down. It takes about a 1/2 hour to drain. Can you help?

Kitchen sink won't drain [ 1 Answers ]

We live in a 70 year old house in the country. The kitchen sink often runs slow, especially after a rain. I have tried drain opener, plunging and running a hose down the pipe. The only thing that works is spraying the hose down the drain when the sink is full. When I do that it will drain, but...

Kitchen drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

In a sink located in the second floor apt kitchen the drain line under the sink draining away from the sink pitches upward into the soil pipe causing the sink to back up. What should do to remedy this? Should I also remove the old soil stack going up to the roof because of possible blockage in the...

View more questions Search