Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2010, 04:28 AM
    Hi, ebb!

I think that would depend on what's involved in the job and how much experience the person already has. I mean, I would think that a person skilled at doing stripping, finishing and buffing work on floors might warrant getting more pay than someone who was just collecting and emptying garbage.

Would you agree, Stringer?

Thanks!
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Jan 7, 2010, 10:21 AM

If you choose to pay your 'worker' (because they will not be an employee) you can get a total by starting to figure the hourly rate for that worker and then extend it to weekly and or monthly. Figure the total loaded rate and arrive at a total dollar figure. That figure will be the total 'flat' rate.

Stringer
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2010, 12:31 AM
    Hey, Stringer!

Would you not suggest a difference in pay, depending on the type of job that the person is doing?
    Business Expert

Jan 9, 2010, 01:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hey, Stringer!

Would you not suggest a difference in pay, depending on the type of job that the person is doing?
    In my brief experience with hiring subs I found that you must be competitive. By that I mean you still have to pay the dollars that experienced performers in the market are receiving. The difference is in what you have to pay in insurance, and government required payment/s for the worker.
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2010, 03:11 AM
    You're over my head now here, Stringer.

Are you saying that the subs are going to be getting insurance and the government required payments, financed by you, if they work for you?

Please forgive my ignorance!

Nowadays, I usually just hire guys move pianos or furniture for me.

Thanks!
    Business Expert

Jan 10, 2010, 09:19 AM

Morning Clough,

No, when you are a sub contractor you are an independent business person. Actually as a sub you should invoice the contractor each time just as any business would. As such, you receive no benefits such as insurance as a worker would. The sub then pays all their own taxes and costs to do business.

Stringer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

HOW to obtain cleaning contracts and also how todo marketing for my cleaning business [ 13 Answers ]

Hello I just started my own cleaning business 5months ago with my husband I have one contract so far... its a small restaurant cleaning once a week which is not much... I just basically looked through the phone book and that's how I got it really called a bunch of people and got lucky... What...

Cleaning the door on a self-cleaning oven [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore self cleaning oven. How do I clean the glass door of the oven. Directions say clean the door separately, but I am having trouble getting the cooked on particles off th e glass.

Multiple pay rate for one employee? Or employee and contractor? [ 2 Answers ]

Can an employee perform accounting clerk duties at one rate of pay for 15 hours per week and then perform payroll duties 1-2 days a month at a different rate? Alternatively, can this employee (who has a bona fide accounting business on the side) be an employee for the payroll clerk function and...

Do I pay sell my stock, pay off my mortgage or credit card debt? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Here are my dilemmas. I own a two family home worth $925,000. I have $95K and five years left on this mortgage. This home gives me about $1,200 in income AFTER expenses are paid each month. I don't live in this home. I have $135K in a 401K and approximately $135K in stock. I have...

Sub-contractor / CONTRACTOR liability [ 1 Answers ]

We Had Flooring Installed In Our Home. The Company Who We Bought The Flooring Promised The Flooring To Be Glued Down. Instead Their Sub-contracted Foreign Installers Drilled Through The Concrete. Water Is Now Shooting Up Through The Holes Like A Fountain. The Company Told Us That The Damage...

View more questions Search