Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tbentley Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2006, 11:44 AM
    GFCI trips when a separate circuit is activated
    I'd appreciate help on an odd problem. I'm pretty good with electricity but stumped on this.

I installed a GFCI in the middle of a 120V outlet circuit. It works correctly, protecting itself and all the downstream load outlets.

But, on a completely separate circuit (separate breaker), I also have an outside floodlight set on a pair of three-way switches.

When I switch on the outside lights on this circuit, the GFCI I installed on the other outlet circuit trips.

Two different breakers. I understand how (say) an open ground or grounded neutral could pop the GFCI -- but how is the possible on a separate circuit?

The electrics were installed new in 1995. The outside lights were probably installed a couple of years later, before I bought the place.

Any ideas?

Thanks--

Terry
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2006, 01:50 PM
    The grounded neutral is most likely the cause, which when then happens, with the neutral being a current carrying conductor, can send current back into the grounding system, or vice versa, and find the GFI, since all grounds and neutrals are connected together at the main disconnect.

Since the floodlight is what causes the GFI to trip, this circuit should be completely examined , looking for miswired splices, splices that came apart or shorted in a junction box, a staple that is too tight and pinching the cable, things of that nature.

I would also be checking the main panel and service grounding to be sure that it is done properly and in good condition.
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Nov 15, 2006, 07:52 PM
    Don't rule out incompetence, either. If someone pulled a shortcut and wired the neutral of the floodlight back into the GFCI protected circuit (but still used a hot wire from a different circuit), that would cause it to trip. Follow tkrussel's advice, though, and thoroughly examine the floodlight circuit.

(And yes, this did happen in my house. Neutral from one circuit used with hot from another. Don't ask)
    big1bird Posts: 35, Reputation: 2

Nov 22, 2006, 05:39 PM
    FWIW, I had something similar. 12-3 to a far end of the house. 115V outlets on each side. Put two GFCI's on each side, and the remaining outlets on either GFCI leg. False trips all the time. I reran two 12-2s and everything worked fine.

Go figure.
    tableclocks Posts: 432, Reputation: 2

Nov 23, 2006, 11:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tbentley
    I'd appreciate help on an odd problem. I'm pretty good with electricity but stumped on this.

I installed a GFCI in the middle of a 120V outlet circuit. It works correctly, protecting itself and all the downstream load outlets.

But, on a completely separate circuit (separate breaker), I also have an outside floodlight set on a pair of three-way switches.

When I switch on the outside lights on this circuit, the GFCI I installed on the other outlet circuit trips.

Two different breakers. I understand how (say) an open ground or grounded neutral could pop the GFCI -- but how is the possible on a separate circuit?

The electrics were installed new in 1995. The outside lights were probably installed a couple of years later, before I bought the place.

Any ideas?

Thanks--

Terry
    Some where in your house you have ground and common connected... ground and commond are only to be connected in your main box... no where else in the wireing

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GFCI Trips with newly spliced fountain pump [ 5 Answers ]

I am nearly exasperated trying to splice in a new fountain pump. Here's what I did: 1. bought a new pump (190gpm), cut the cord near its plug 2. threaded the power cord through the bottom of the fountain "tub" 3. spliced it to the power cord which runs under the rock patio to the gfci outlet....

GFCI Circuit Breaker. [ 2 Answers ]

I recently ran a branch circuit to the exterior of the house to add a receptacle on the patio. The existing 15 amp breaker protected a circuit that had only three plug outlets and one switched ceiling light. The circuit is very lightly used. So I want to add GFIC protection in the form of a breaker...

Circuit breaker trips constantly [ 2 Answers ]

After eight years in the house without any problems now the oven circuit breaker keeps tripping as soon as the oven is above about 250 C. I turn off everything else that might be on this circuit and still the problem exists. Help!

Microwave trips circuit [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 5-year old over-the-range Maytag microwave connected to 20-Amp service on it's own circuit. A few months ago, it began tripping the circuit when I would open or close the door. It never trips the circuit when it's cooking; just when I open or close the door. Also, it doesn't happen...

GFCI on breaker panel trips, 3 way, how to find the problem? [ 1 Answers ]

Periodically one GFCI in the panel trips This particular circuit runs an outside outlet, one light in the basement and it seems to work 2 switches and a plug in the family room The problem with the 2 switches in the family room at opposite ends are suppose to turn the plug off and on as a 3...

View more questions Search