Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twyee827 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2010, 05:21 AM
    Plumbing questions answered
    I appear to have a problem with my hot water. The hot water throughout my house will not stay hot. I turn on the hot water in my bathrooms and kitchen and the water stays hot for a minute or so and then gradually becomes cold. I have checked my hot water heater which appears to be working fine. I have adjusted the temperature on my hot water tank to its highest temperature.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 1, 2010, 05:44 AM
    Hi Twyee827...

Take a hose and attach it to the drain at the front, bottom of your water heater and run it for say 5 minutes. Then tell me if the water is still hot at the end of 5 minutes. If it is then I suspect that the DIP TUBE in your water heater may have cracked or broken off from the cold water inlet of the water heater.

Here, a good dip tube delivers cold water to the bottom of the water heater and the cold water gets heated and rises to the top. Meanwhile the hot water feeds out the hot water outlet to the home.. all working in a balanced manner. When the dip tube breaks it allows cold water to feed almost directly to the hot water outlet of the water heater resulting in about a minute of hot water and then cold water after that, much like you describe... ;)

To fix this, you would need to shut off the cold water flow into the water heater and then cut into the cold water tubing and get into the cold water tapping of the heater and see how the dip tube looks. The dip tube can be a separate dip tube UNDER the cold water nipple or it could be attached directly to the cold water nipple itself.

Let me know what you think here...

MARK
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plumbing questions answered [ 1 Answers ]

Is it OK to connect a lavatory drain to the overflow pipe on the tub? Tub and sink are back to back.

We removed the toilet in our master bathroom to do some tiling. Once done, we were not able to install the toilet back because a piece of the flange had broken off. We decided to buy a new toilet (that uses less water) and called a plumber to put a new flange down and install the new toilet. It...

When I run my bathroom sink my tub drain backs up with water. Need some help on a solution? Doug

My hot water is far to powerful in the shower can I put a valve in the line between mains pressure cylnder and the shower?

Many Questions To Be Answered! [ 4 Answers ]

1. Is it okay to tell the next relationship about how the old relationship went and to tell them who dumped who. Will any of it make a difference? 2. Is it possible for a very beautiful woman to really have guy friends that are just guy friends? 3. What are a few things to never ever say to a...

View more questions Search