Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 31, 2009, 03:47 PM
    Allergic reaction to shots?
    Hi all:

My adorable 11 week old black labrador puppy got its 2nd distemper and 1st lyme shots back 6 days ago. Two days ago I noticed a small lump on the back of her neck where the shots were given to her. Today the lump is even bigger (and squishy)... seems like she may be having an allergic reaction to the shots.

I have started to give her benadryl as recommended on various pet sites online, but wanted to pop in and ask for your thoughts on this as I think we have some of the best people on the net right here at the askmehelpdesk... :)

Anyway, any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated. We are planning on having the vet. Look at her on Saturday or Monday.

Thank you...

MARK
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Dec 31, 2009, 04:06 PM

Sounds like a skin reaction rather than an allergic one. A small bruise is possible around the hard knot of vaccine. I don't think you need to pay weekend/holiday rates, just keep an eye out for changes in eating/drinking and wait until Monday to see the vet.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 31, 2009, 04:12 PM
    Hi Catsmine:

I'll buy the skin reaction, for sure, but the lump is a squishy bag like lump that can be held and kind of squished around in the sac... nothing like a bruise or knot.

Thanks for your input... :)

MARK
    Pest Control Expert

Dec 31, 2009, 04:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Hi Catsmine:

I'll buy the skin reaction, for sure, but the lump is a squishy bag like lump that can be held and kinda squished around in the sac....nothing like a bruise or knot.

Thanks for your input...:)

MARK
    How large is the squishy area?
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 31, 2009, 04:17 PM
    About a 3"round sac...
    Pest Control Expert

Dec 31, 2009, 04:20 PM
    About a 3"round sac...
    That's huge. I reverse my earlier position. I can do that, I'm not a politician. Saturday Morning vet call. If there's no fever don't freak but do keep a close eye on her tomorrow.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 31, 2009, 04:24 PM
    Hey, you sure can reverse your position, especially when it comes to sweet little guys like this!. ;)

Yeah... something's not right. Thanks for your input!

MARK
    Pest Control Expert

Dec 31, 2009, 04:27 PM
    Hey, you sure can reverse your position, especially when it comes to sweet little guys like this!!..;)

Yeah...something's not right. Thanks for your input!

MARK
    Despite the worry, have a Happy New Year's!
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 31, 2009, 04:39 PM
    You too!
    Attached Images

Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2009, 08:58 PM

Sounds like maybe a cyst or a small abscess has formed at the injection site. Does it feel fluid filled?
    Keep an eye on her and make sure she is eating and drinking and acting totally normal, and get her in on Monday.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2009, 10:03 PM

I'm going with Sariss and saying abscess.

Sometimes when they get their shots there can be a lot of fluid build up around the injection site.
    Your vet will most probably drain it and give your pup a coarse of antibiotics ;)
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 1, 2010, 05:31 AM
    Hi Guys...

YUP! Fluid filled for sure.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2010, 09:42 AM

Well on that note, ensure she is comfortable until you can get her in. It should be OK, but call the emergency line if she becomes lethargic, not eating, vomitting, etc etc.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 1, 2010, 12:46 PM
    Talked to the vet... they think it is a simple reaction to the shots. We will bring her in on Monday as a precaution. Thank you all for the advice and concern!

MARK
    Pest Control Expert

Jan 1, 2010, 12:48 PM
    Talked to the vet...they think it is a simple reaction to the shots. We will bring her in on Monday as a precaution. Thank you all for the advice and concern!

MARK
    Thanks for letting us know. I actually do worry about these poor puppies.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2010, 07:00 PM

It's great when people come back and let us know what happened and how the dog is, thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Allergic reaction on using Hair colour [ 9 Answers ]

I am 53 years, more than 50% hair has become gray which is not acceptable to me. I tried many hair dyes to make it black but all of those causes allergic ( skin ) reaction. Now I am using henna, but its red colour is also unaccetable. How can I make my hair black without causing any allergic...

Sunburn--Allergic reaction to aloe. [ 4 Answers ]

HI there, I am wondering if there is some product that I can use to minimize my burns? Something that doesn't contain aloe... I seem to have an allergic reaction to it...

Allergic reaction on my ankles [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I used to suffer from a rash on my ankles and legs that was extremely itchy. I think this was caused by ankle braces I need to wear to play sport. I hadn't used the ankle braces for about 5 years until two nights ago and now the reaction is happening again. I need to wear these...

Allergic Reaction or WHAT! [ 5 Answers ]

Today is Thursday. Monday morning I started my day off normal only to notice really bad itching accompanied with the feeling of getting bit by a bug. It feels kind of like a fly biting me. It occurs all over my arms and belly and back. I have a few reb blood marks like something has bit me. I...

Allergic reaction [ 2 Answers ]

Our dachsund got his distemper and rabies shot yeasturday. They said he may have a alergic reation and he is getting lumps that are coming and going throughout his head area. His ears are red on the inside too. Please advise, thank you

View more questions Search