Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hydrangea1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2009, 11:30 AM
    Taxes on wire transfer in excess of $100K from India to US to self-any taxes?
    My father is an Indian, acquired his green card due to the death of our mother in 2008, and is trying to wind up affairs in India... he wants to transfer his money from an Indian account to a US account. Does he need to declare his Indian income to the IRS, if yes, then above what level?
    If he makes a wire transfer from his account in India to his account in the US in excess of $100K does he owe taxes to the Indian govt and the IRS, or just the difference? Say, his tax owed to the Indian govt were $12,000 and what he owed in the US were $15,000, would he then owe $12,000 and $3,000 respectively?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2009, 09:27 PM

Transfers are not income. They will be reported to the IRS, but are not income. When he files taxes in the US, he will be asked about foreign accounts. Note in return that assets were liquidated and/or transferred would probably be fine for the same reasons you said. Any transaction over $10k whether it be buying a house or car is reported to the IRS.
    Not claimed on income.

I'm a US citizen. If I had an account in China. I would report the interest income on my US tax return.

Now, wire transfer fees could be amount based. There might also also be currency conversion fees. Shop around. There may also be restrictions as to home much can be transferred.
    hydrangea1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2010, 12:53 PM

Thanks a lot!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

SE Taxes on income in excess of $102,000 [ 1 Answers ]

I made over $102,000 last year in my personal (writing) business, and need to pay SE taxes on that, but I also was employed by and received a W-2 from another business, where Social Security was already withheld. How can I keep from paying excess SS taxes, since we don't need to pay SS on incomes...

India taxes withheld at source [ 2 Answers ]

I am a US corporation who had a customer in India who withheld tax on the amount they owed me. They gave me a certificate showing they remitted the taxes. How can I go about getting the tax back if there is a treaty between US and India?

Wife in India. Never been to the US. How do I file taxes? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am sorry but I am asking the same question everyone seems to be asking. It was comforting to see so many people in the same situation. Don't worry we will all get rich... hahaha. This forum has been really helpful... thanks guys... Question1 After I send the Completed 1040 EZ and...

Filing US taxes from India? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello friends, I have query related to filing US taxes from India. I was living in the US on F1 visa until July 2007. From June 1st 2006-may 31st 2007 I worked on OPT (OPT expired May 31st 2007). I duly filed my 2006 taxes while living there. I only worked for 5 months in the US in 2007 and then...

Taxes - US and India [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I recently moved from the US to India and I still maintain my permanent resident status in the US. How do I pay taxes in India and the US? My income in India is getting taxed at source and have a new PAN no set up. But for my investments in the US, how do I pay taxes? Do I pay it in the US or...

View more questions Search