Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dn497357777 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2009, 10:38 AM
    Electrical partial-power-loss power to the outlet on one side and the ground
    I have partial-power-loss as a result of a heater and christmas tree plugged in the same line in my home. The problem I 'm having is that each outlet that was affected still has 115V on ether side and ground , is this the result of a hot attaching itself to ground somewhere in my wall? And how can I test this therory without ripping the wall apart.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2009, 12:14 PM

You may have lost the Neutral.
    You should have 120 volts between Hot(small prong) and Neutral(Large prong), you should also have 120 volts between Hot and Ground.
    You should have zero volts between Ground and Neutral.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2010, 12:08 PM

A neutral on that circuit has opened and power is going through a load to make neutral live, Unplug everything on that circuit, turn off all lights, this should remove the voltage off the neutral.
    Then I would turn off THAT breaker and see what circuits went out, check those boxes, could be last good or first bad receptacle.
    If able to work safely in panel, I woul see what circuits exit the panel with the circuit you are working on, the one with the breaker off.
    May be in one of those boxes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical outlet has no power flowing. [ 54 Answers ]

Hey, I've been setting out to change all the electrical outlets in the house just to upgrade the colour as we will be selling the house soon and like the newer look.. However after re-wiring one of the electrical outlet's it now has no power coming to it at all. I have checked the wires...

No power in outside electrical outlet [ 2 Answers ]

Have outside electrical receptable (metal) that was working and I plugged in a trimmer and that worked then unplugged the trimmer and went to use another outside attachment and the plug went dead. Tried to use a electrical device to verify that the plug was getting any power and no lights came...

Broken outlet. Hot and ground give power [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all. A month or so back I replaced an outlet in the kitchen with a GCFI outlet. This outlet apparently is the only thing on the circuit. Through this process I visually traced the wire through the basement and it seems to go from the outlet, down the wall, and into the breaker, no junction...

Electrical outlet loses power then comes back on by itself. [ 3 Answers ]

My neighbor asked me to help with an electrical problem. I placed my Greenlee non contact voltage detector near the outlet and it flashed. Then we plugged in a night light and it did not light. The testor showed a loss of power. We unplugged the night light and the tester showed the power...

Electrical outlet low power [ 2 Answers ]

I have an electrical wall outlet that doesn't put out enough power to support things like my vacuum or computer, but power does come through the outlet because a smal lamp will light. I have shut off the circuit breaker until I get the problem fixed. Will changing the outlet for a new one fix my...

View more questions Search