Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MacTech Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2006, 07:45 AM
    401k home loan default
    My wife took out a loan two years ago from her 401k. This was a first time withdrawal for the purpose of a home loan.

She is now interviewing with another company. (Better commute, new faces)

Given that her loan becomes callable when she leaves, if she defaults, is there the 10% withdrawal penalty —since it was used for the first time home purchase— or is there merely the remaining balance of the loan added to her income and calculated in the normal tax manner?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 15, 2006, 07:47 AM
    It was a loan, not a withdrawal. Most likely it will be subject to the penalties and taxes. What I would recommend is that you get a home equity loan or some how pay off the 401K loan before distribution. Then roll over her plan into the new company and take out a new 401K loan to pay off the home equity loan.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 15, 2006, 06:16 PM
    It is Definitely subject to the penalties.

Definitely pay off the loan, then take out a new loan!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 15, 2006, 06:30 PM
    I will tell you how my 401K works, if I have a loan out when I leave employment, the amount becomes payable at once. If I can't pay it, they will show it as a withdrawal from my 401 instead of a loan ( they explain it as paying off the loan but they still show it with penalties and taxes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Loan against 401K [ 1 Answers ]

My 401K is still with :confused: my employer for one year and a day after my resignation. How can I obtain a small loan (3K). The year is almost up but I need the cash now!:confused:

Repossession of Manufactured Home Due to Default [ 1 Answers ]

My corporation, a Georgia corporation, is the Holder of a Promissory Note, which Note is currently in default, as defined by the provisions of such Note. As collateral for the Note, Borrower originally granted Holder a security interest in the underlying asset being purchased by Borrower with the...

Manufactured home default law before repossesion [ 7 Answers ]

I just have a question about the law that surrounds manufactured homes (mh). Our mh loan is due on the 1st, we are generally always late, usually paid on 12th or later. We never not pay, we pay. The company that our loan is through has a guy who is completely rude. He considers it 30 days late...

Default on car loan [ 6 Answers ]

I am facing a serious situation.I had a car loan and then I gat into an accident.It was a hit and run and the police never found the people that hit me.Unfortunelty right before that, because of serious financial problems, I couldn t make my insurance payments.Now I received a call from a lawyer...

View more questions Search