Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KMC6296 Posts: 94, Reputation: 2

Dec 30, 2009, 12:23 PM
    Sciatic Nerve
    My dad is 64 and is apparently having problems with his sciatic nerve. He was getting out of bed, fell and hit himself on the corner of his night stand. Luckily, he had nothing more than a black eye. My mom has since rearranged the furniture, but I am VERY concerned. I took him to see a movie yesterday and while walking, his leg just gave out from under him and he fell and fell hard. My dad is a big guy at about 250 lbs. I was not able to help him up. He fell in the kitchen this morning and we are all terrified that he is going to slip and hit his head. Is there anything that can be done to help him heal this condition? I have looked on the internet and from what I have found, it seems to be that it just takes time. He has been seeing a chiropractor who has ordered an MRI for him, but in the mean time is there anything he could or should be doing?
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2009, 12:30 PM

Until he gets a proper diagnoses, get him a cane or crutches. I had problems with my sciatic nerve, and know the pain that he is in.

Make sure that you get him to go to the best doctor, or surgeon, that you can find.

There are many fixes, and procedures, that he can try to get him out of pain.

A good position for him to sleep, or lie in, is on his back, with a pillow under his thighs, as far up towards the buttocks as possible. This straightens out the spine, and eases the pain.

In the mean time, don't let him try to walk unassisted.

Hopefully, he will get fixed soon.

Good luck, and come back if you need any more help.

Dec 30, 2009, 12:38 PM

Thanks SO much for the suggestions. I well let him know. We do have him using a cane, but it doesn't seem to be doing the trick. I had suggested a walker. Would you think that might give him a little more stability than the cane? I'm "hanging out" with him tomorrow to keep an eye on him. I worry mostly when he goes to use the bathroom. My mom has been making double sure that there is nothing for him to slip on, but I'm afraid that in a small bathroom, a fall is going to land him on the sink or bathtub.

Thanks again for the suggestions :)
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2009, 12:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KMC6296 View Post
    Thanks SO much for the suggestions. I well let him know. We do have him using a cane, but it doesn't seem to be doing the trick. I had suggested a walker. Would you think that might give him a little more stability than the cane? I'm "hanging out" with him tomorrow to keep an eye on him. I worry mostly when he goes to use the bathroom. My mom has been making double sure that there is nothing for him to slip on, but I'm afraid that in a small bathroom, a fall is going to land him on the sink or bathtub.

Thanks again for the suggestions :)
    The crutches will help him without making him feel like a invalid (walker).

Try getting an over the counter back brace. It will give him some support and stabilty.

Come back after the MRI, because you can get some good suggestions as far as what to do next. Lower back problems are real common, and loads of people here have been there before.

Dec 30, 2009, 12:49 PM

Great! Thank you.

Jan 5, 2010, 06:47 PM

So, my dad got the MRI results today and has a herniated disk. He needs to make an appointment with his primary care doctor. Is surgery the only solution?
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2010, 02:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KMC6296 View Post
    So, my dad got the MRI results today and has a herniated disk. He needs to make an appointment with his primary care doctor. Is surgery the only solution?
    It depends on the severity. It's not ruptured, and that's good.

He has several options. Find out who's the best at back problems in your area, and talk about them.

He might be able to have a microdiscectomy.

Jan 6, 2010, 04:03 PM

Thanks so much for all of your responses. My poor dad... This is just so stressfull!
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2010, 06:59 PM

I had a herniated disc in my lumbar. I did everything I could to NOT have surgery. I did PT, epidural steriod injections( directly into the spinal cavity), painkillers( AND HOW), chiropractor, more painkillers... Finally I had the microdiscectomy. And my back is strong as before.

I am however, recovering from hip surgery due to all of the stuff they shot into my spine. Plus, I've got a lot of wear and tear on this old body of mine.

Hopefully, therapy will help him. But don't go overboard with the narcotics and cortisone in the meanwhile.

The best therapy, FOR ME, was the pool therapy. Make sure that he sleeps with the pillows under his legs.

Let us know what the doctor recommends.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nerve Medication [ 3 Answers ]

Hallo guys... Can any one list me a good combination of Herbal Remedies that can ease or cure pain resulting from Nerve problems.. :) Gud day n take care.

Nerve damage at T-12 [ 2 Answers ]

After many test for left abdominal pain for the past 18month,I was refaired to pain management clinic,within a short time the doctor told me that the pain is not due to abdominal pain but due to the nerve at T-12, he has given me oxycontin amitriptiline and a tens machine,the pain is reduced but...

View more questions Search