Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sweetblue2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2006, 11:24 PM
    I settled my Debt--they cashed check but now Bank suing me!
    If anyone could help me--or point me in the right direction it would be a great relief.

Basically, I had a credit card with Chase bank--it went delinquent.
    They turned it over to a company called Mann Bracken (they're in Atlanta, GA).

Mann Bracken filed with the National Arbitration Forum.

Mann Bracken sent me a letter stating I could settle for up to 75% of the balance owed.
    I called them, spoke with a rep--they told me I could still settle...
    The rep also stated they would send me a letter to show the credit bureau that I settled and they would send it to the National Arbitration Forum as well.
    I express mailed (via USPS) a check to them, they received it.
    On both the front and back of the check I wrote that once the check was cashed that my acct# would be settled.

On 10-18-06 they cashed the check.
    Today on 11-14-06 I get a letter in the mail from the National Arbitration Forum stating that the claimant (Chase Bank/Mann Bracken) would be awarded--that they can sue me for the full amount.

Can they legally do this since they cashed a check which had "settled" written on it?

The worst part is that Chase is my employer--I got into debt before they hired me, and well, they don't even pay me enough that I can pay off all my credit card/student loan debt in full, but that's another long aggravating story...

I don't have the money to get a lawyer because I'm currently making settlement payments on another credit card.. I've already filed a complaint with the BBB and FTC, but they are not responding back to me. I really need to know what to do!:eek:
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2006, 06:39 AM
    Do you have a written agreement from them before you paid?

What was the rep name?

Debt Collector are scum, if not in writing than no agreement, if in writing, file complaint with your state attorney, and Federal Trade commission.

Send copy of agreement National Arbitration Forum showing settle by agreement.

Never, ever deal over the phone always in writing only.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 15, 2006, 07:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetblue2
    Mann Bracken sent me a letter stating I could settle for up to 75% of the balance owed.
    Send the National Arbitration Forum copies of that letter and your cancelled check. Send a copy to Mann Bracken.

Tell them you have an written offer (the letter) and proof of acceptance (the check). Therefore, as far as you or any court would be concerned, the debt is settled.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bank account seized.. Debt almost gone. [ 13 Answers ]

The company handling my account is Rubin&Rothman for Ford Motor Credit. I voluntarily surrendered a vehicle to the dealership as instructed by FMC about six years ago. I owed $6,000 after the vehicle was re-sold. Unable to pay the $300/month they were demanding, they froze my bank account. I...

Bounced check - bank mistake [ 2 Answers ]

I have discover credit card - they send me blank check that, I can write for up to my credit limit and it's going to be 0% interest rate for 12 months. I deposited the check in my account - discover card posted the check on my account for $10,000. 3 weeks later, I found out that check was...

Amex suing me [ 5 Answers ]

From New Jersey Hi everyone, Well I was working a job and decided ultimately I needed to go back to school. My income declined sharply while my expenses sort of grew and I ran into credit card debt with Amex. My father offerred to help me and we attempted to settle with Amex, but they...

Cashed out my 401k [ 3 Answers ]

Hi , I recently cashed out my 401k,I was 100 % vested I'm 40 yrs old, what are my taxes and pentalties of 15,700 dollars

Is it really settled? [ 9 Answers ]

I was sent a settlement letter by a collection agency the debt was $307. They offered my a settlement $215 to settle debt paid. I sent them the money via Money order and return receipt in plenty of time. BUT the difference of $92. Is showing up on my credit bureau as an owed balance. What is...

View more questions Search