Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    christalm1975 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2006, 10:20 PM
    Parental rights
    I am a single mother. I have a three year old daughter. Her father has never had anything to do with her and has never saw her. We had a DNA test a couple of months before she turned three, in which he scheduled a different appointment so he would not see her. He tells me he does not ever want to see her. He wants to give up his parental rights. Can he do that with me being a single mom with no one else to adopt her?
    tinkerbell77 Posts: 96, Reputation: 6

Nov 27, 2006, 02:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by christalm1975
    I am a single mother. I have a three year old daughter. Her father has never had anything to do with her and has never saw her. We had a DNA test a couple of months before she turned three, in which he scheduled a different appointment so he would not see her. He tells me he does not ever want to see her. He wants to give up his parental rights. Can he do that with me being a single mom with no one else to adopt her?
    I'm not sure what the rules are in your state. But I looked in to this at one time in Colorado. He can give up his right to see her. But he will never be able to get out of his rights of paying child support enless the both of you agree and in Colorado you do have to have a new husband to adopt her even if you do both agree. But you can look up the laws in your state. I'm pretty sure there is no one for him to walk away with out your permission.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 27, 2006, 03:24 PM
    Christal,
    There are several threads in this forum that discuss this issue. I suggest you read them.

Giving up his parental rights does not absolve him of financial responsibility for child support. If he doesn't want to see her, then all he has to do is not see her, its as simple as that.

Generally, a biological parent will give up their rights to allow a step parent to adopt the child. Otherwise there is no real necessity to do so.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

How do I relinquish my parental rights as a father. My ex-wife has full custody and will not allow me near her or my child.

Parental rights [ 11 Answers ]

I am divorced. My ex-wife has a boy friend who wants to adopt my children. They are not married. Does he have to marry her before he can adopt? Do I have any rights to visit or communicate with my children if I give permission to adopt?

Parental Rights [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Richmond Va and have a 12 year old daughter. At this time my ex-husband has full custody of her . He called and informed me that she wanted to live with me full time which I already knew but he said the only way he would allow that to happen is if I got the paperwork drawn up for him to...

Parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

Here's my problem. Im 36 weeks pregnant and the father of the baby doesn't want anything to do with the baby. He wanted me to get an abortion and has said a bunch of stuff like he would pay support but he doesn't want to see or have anything to do with the baby. Then he said later that he wasn't...

Giving up parental rights [ 2 Answers ]

My husband has a adopted daughter, her real mom wants to give up parental rights to her. She is 15 yrs old now.If her real mother gives up rights then later down the road the 15 year old wants to go live with her real mom.. Would we have to pay child support to her real mom being she gave up her...

View more questions Search