Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gus_19 Posts: 54, Reputation: 2

Dec 29, 2009, 05:25 PM
    Plaster and Fire rated drywall
    I understand plaster board such as blue board is used when plastering walls instead of traditional taping/mudding of the seams, but can you plaster on fire rated drywall. I currently have the fire rated drywall in my garage due to code and am looking at just having my garage plastered.
    arby808 Posts: 110, Reputation: 4

Dec 30, 2009, 11:01 AM

Let me correct you you have 5/8 fire rated sheetrock white board in your garage it would be better use drywall products over that rather than plaster because plaster is used on blue board which is a bit different than sheetrock blue board is made to suck the moisture out of the plaster that is put on it plus plaster uses mesh tape which is not as strong as drywall paper tape with drywall you can have it sanded smooth or you can texture it the same as plaster
    Gus_19 Posts: 54, Reputation: 2

Dec 30, 2009, 04:49 PM
    Thank you. Yes it is 5/8 fire rated sheetrock. Didn't realize what I originally typed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hanging heavy items on drywall over plaster? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I'm hanging a medicine cabinet in the bathroom. Do not know the weight but imagine it's no more than 40lbs when filled. Probably a conservative estimate. The walls are drywall over plaster. So basically I can't use an anchor meant for a hollow wall, but the first layer is not as...

Patching cracks in drywall and plaster walls before painting [ 0 Answers ]

What do you charge for patching cracks that are caused by a homes' foundation being compromised by construction going on from an attached house. The construction consisted of the previous house being totally gutted and eliminated to build a new structure. Some of the cracks are worse than others...

Fire rated recessed light covers [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing Halo 4" and 6" can lights (IC) and the electrician that I am working with says that we must use UL 2 hr fire rated light covers FF109-300 Tenmat brand. First the lights are enclosed steel boxes. Does this mean that it is unecc to use the covers? Second This seems to be the only...

View more questions Search