Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sonnyman1960 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2009, 04:57 PM
    As an ex felon I want to start a handyman service but have bad credit
    I havw worked in construction 30 years and have bad credit. As an ex felon I am having a hard time getting help, I have a famillt and want to provide a good living for them. I have been off paper for over 3 years aand really want to have a good life. Please help me
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2009, 05:01 PM
    Hello sonny:

You don't need good credit to work as a handyman... All you need is a little shoe leather. Deliver flyers to your neighbors. Ads on Craigslist aren't expensive, either...

excon
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 29, 2009, 05:16 PM
    Hi Sonny:

Why do you need any loans at this point? Most handyman companies, that aren't franchise types, start up with a used truck, tools and some business cards to help get the word out about the company. You may also want to consider some yellow page advertising as it doesn't require credit and when you get off the ground some online advertising (wave of the future).

Most important will be to be fair in pricing, extremely clean in work habits and punctual in showing up and finishing any jobs you start.

In my experience, if you estimate reasonably, do the work you agreed to do (spelled out in contract form) and do it cleanly (including vacuuming and washing floors) and in a timely manner your businesss should grow itself quite quickly... even during tough times like these... ;)

Basically, I guess, I'm wondering why you need credit... don't you really need customers first?

Let me know what you are thinking here... O.K?

MARK
    sonnyman1960 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2009, 06:04 PM

I have customers and references but I am short on tools and we only have one truck at this time and I also have a 4 year old son and don't have daycare yet. We just moved here and my wife is the new GM for the Dominos here and works most of the time. I need help to get my buisiness back off the ground
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 29, 2009, 07:39 PM

Wife works, she can pay for day care. You have a truck, so you use it for the work till you can afford to get another one.

Sorry, you need to take what you have and go from there, If you need a few tools, some cheap ones can be found at pawn shops and craigs list. So you start with what you can do with what you have.

The "handyman" who I got to do some of my work on my last house I bought, drove up in a 20 year old car with tools in the trunk.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 29, 2009, 08:01 PM

Closed , please don't ask the same question multiple times
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2009, 02:29 AM
    Threads and posts merged.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2009, 03:00 AM
    Hi, sonnyman1960!

Yes, as Fr_Chuck has basically stated, please don't start multiple threads about the same thing.

Now, I've merged things together so that all the answers are on one thread. Please stick to this one thread for all information that's exchanged.

One of the things that I do for a living, is that I'm a handyman. I agree with the others here.

I would like to add that, do you have relatives living around where you live? Also, if you worked in construction 30 years, what happened to your tools, and what kind of handyman work do you want to do, please?

I can help you with advertising for free on the Internet to get work. Most of my work comes from the free ads that I've placed on the Internet. But, in order to help you to do that, if you're interested that is, I'll need to know more specifics about what you'll want to be doing as a handyman.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2010, 05:38 AM
    Are you still around here, sonnyman1960?

Thanks!
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 11, 2010, 10:03 AM
    Hi Clough...

Glad this post popped up again... :) I was wondering if you could tell me a little more about "advertising for free on the Internet" as you have offered to sonnyman.

I am about to try some online advertising and it sounds like you may have some helpful info.

Appreciate anything you can think of. Contact me here or via private message... up to you.

Thank you...

MARK
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2010, 12:41 AM
    Hi, massplumber2008!

Hey, thanks for asking!

I'll be glad to help you! But please do start a separate thread about that.

If you post in Business Plans, Home-Based Business or Small Business, I'll be able to fix things if something goes "Oops!" because those are some of the forum topic areas that I moderate.

Thanks!
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 13, 2010, 10:32 AM
    I'll post at one of those areas soon.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2010, 12:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    I'll post at one of those areas soon.

Thanks!
    Okay. I'll look forward to it!

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I want to start a tiffin service or packaged food service in punjab mkt [ 2 Answers ]

For tiffin or packaged food service What should be My target population is 350 tiffins 1) capital investment 2) manpower requirement 3) location and space availbility 4) marketing statergy 5) implementation process

Borrow the Boys handyman service looking for start up ideas. [ 4 Answers ]

My husband, brother-in-law and I have started a small handyman business. We have a great concept,low over head (home office) and great prices. The only problem seems to be getting jobs. Craig's list turned out to be a little scary and most people didn't want to pay more then $10.00 per hour. What's...

Can a convicted felon be bonded and insured to start a cleaning service [ 4 Answers ]

I live in NC and want to start a cleaning service. I know I need to get bonded and insured but I have heard that convicted felons can not be bonded. My conviction was 10 years ago here in NC. Before I spend a lot of time trying to start this business, I would like to know if I can be bonded....

Start a business with bad credit [ 1 Answers ]

How can I start a business with bad credit:)

I need student debt consolidation loan for poor credit or bad credit [ 1 Answers ]

Anyone suggest me I'm from singapore and I wish to go study in USA.Anyoone suggest

View more questions Search