Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mandolinsrule Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2009, 03:35 PM
    how sharpen knife
    When I sharpen knives with the draw=through sharpener or the ceramic rods, I can never get them as sharp as they were when new. What's the very best way to sharpen a knife? Thanks
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2009, 08:16 PM

Use a sharpening stone. I have a 10" long cylinder sharpening stone that has a 4" wooden handle. It is old but sharpens my knives to a good honed edge.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2009, 08:59 PM

The company "Lansky" has really nice ceramic sticks, of varying courseness, and which are affixed at the appropriate angle. Those are great.

I sharpen my knives on a regular basis, but I use whetstones, the rectangular ones, again with varying roughness, and then finish off with a ceramic stick. But I have been doing this for over 40 years, and am quite used to it.

A good steel, which chefs use, is good for kitchen knives.

They have some pretty good diamond surface blocks that work really well too.

Check out these steps: http://www.instructables.com/id/Knif...pening-Tricks/
    mrbigcat Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2010, 03:38 AM

First id like to ask what kind of knives you are using? There are many different ways to sharpen different knives and if you sharpen them incorrectly there is a large chance you have ruined any edge the knife originally had. Also there is a large difference between sharpening and honing a knife. When you are sharpening a knife you are removing a very small layer a metal to create a new edge. Through regular use this edge will begin to bend and warp and create a very small curl at its thinnest point making the knife extremely dull, honing is simply shaping this curl back into a point.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Mar 17, 2010, 09:11 PM
    An electric vibratory knife sharpener works very well, not too expensive and very consistent in results. Hand sharpeners are OK for touchup, but after any real havey use you need a bit more.
    chautauquan Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2010, 12:43 PM

Use a rectangular combination stone (two different grits) cutting IN to the stone from the base of the knife arcing to the tip, either several like strokes on one side and an equal # on the other, but finishing with one stroke on each side.
    Start on the coarse side, and finish on the fine side. Sharpening such as described above is only need rarely, once you learn and master "steeling" as described below.

Then, a steel: A steel is not to remove stock like a stone. It is to set, or align the edge. Properly used. A steel is used EVERY TIME you pick up the knife. There is an excellent diagram of how-to on the Dexter Russell website (Google it). A Cleveland, OH broadcaster / cook, Fred Griffith, accurately described a steel as the "other half of the knife"
    Whenever you pick up one, you should pick up the other. It's a habit that once mastered, makes having a sharp knife all the time,s second nature.
    chautauquan Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2010, 12:46 PM

Follow up on "Steeling" diagram:

Dexter-Russell, Inc.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2010, 06:32 PM

This post is 8 1/2 months old.
    knifepal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2012, 04:47 AM
    You can use Sharpening Steels or Sharpening Stone to sharp your knife. This page may help you: How to Sharpen A Knife? | Knifepal.com
    BeccaG Posts: 5, Reputation: 0

Nov 8, 2012, 07:47 AM
    If you are inexperienced you can damage your knives. I take mine to a local knife sharpening shop. They usually charge around ten dollars per knife, but I only go once every other year, and only bring my santoku, chef's knife, fillet knife and the carver if I am hosting Thanksgiving or Christmas at my house (otherwise I never use it).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I sharpen a circular saw blade [ 1 Answers ]

I need instructions on how to sharpen circular saw blades and bits

How do I sharpen a mitre saw [ 1 Answers ]

How do i sharpen a mitre saw

To sharpen or not to sharpen [ 2 Answers ]

My son is two and a half years old and I just purchased his first pair of skates. To me, a thirty year old beer league player at best, the new skates seem dull. Is this for his protection or should they be sharpened so he can learn proper feel for the blades from the start. Of course he will have...

How can I sharpen my canines by myself? [ 5 Answers ]

How can I sharpen my canines myself? By natural ability?

View more questions Search