Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chrishy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2009, 02:25 PM
    What is always LIVE/HOT in main panel w/main breaker off?
    We are going to be putting a dedicated 20A/12-2 wire receptacle in the basement for our treadmill. When we are putting in the new 20A breaker, we are concerned with what is 'live' in the service panel. I know the 2 service wires are hot before the main but is there a chance anything else may be live? Anything to watch out for? Luckily our box has a separate cover so we can be sure not to touch the service wires, however I remember someone saying (no idea where) that the ground or neutral buses could be hot - is this true? And how can I mitigate/test for this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Chrissy :)

Eaton Cutler-Hammer panel
    Model: CPM120
    120/125A
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2009, 02:35 PM

With the Main OFF, It is extremely more unlikely that a Neutral or Ground to become Live.
    If you remove any neutral that has a Load on it, the Neutral willl become live by going from the Hot wire through the load and out the unconnected neutral.
    Just hook up neutral, and ground, then hook to breaker.
    Don't touch anything you don't need too. A Meter or tester can be sure there is no power.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2009, 02:36 PM

Here you go: Replacing a Breaker in Your Panel

Basically don't touch the wires entering the main breaker. Use the one hand rule.

With the main ON, removing neutrals can be dangerous to you and your appliances.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2009, 02:40 PM
    The large wires feeding the Main breaker are live, as you mentioned. On a properly wired and operating system, neither the Neutral or the ground should be live.

Before you open any panel, shutting off the Main breaker should make the panel safe, again, with exception to the lugs on the Main.

Before touching any part that could be live, must use a voltage tester to be sure voltage is truly off. We always use the Neutral and/or ground as a reference for one test probe, and use the other probe to check any exposed terminal.

I, personally, never recommend using the non-contact type of voltage tester. I probably should for DIY'ers, but I had an experienced man get severely shocked using one of those, even after he tested the tester on a known live circuit.

I included a photo of what I believe is your panel. I see the two covers, one for the main. With the bottom cover off and the Main off, you should be fine. Be sure to test anyway, as you never know if a breaker fails to open on both legs.
    Attached Images

chrishy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2009, 03:08 PM

Wow! Thanks everyone for the quick responses. I really appreciate all your help - it never hurts to ask.

Happy NY :)

Chrissy

p.s. We have a contact tester - but TKRussell, you have just solidified my decision to not get a non-contact one. Yikes!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Difference between Main Lug and Main Breaker Panel [ 8 Answers ]

What is the difference between a Main Breaker Panel and a Main Lug Panel and can either be used in new residential construction.

Main breaker in sub panel? [ 3 Answers ]

I am wiring a sub panel in a pole barn that is 30 feet from the house, my questions, is I purchased a 100 amp main lug panel with 6 spaces for breakers, can I run 6-3 with ground from main panel box in house and put a 60 amp breaker in main panel box in house and use the sub panel box in barn with...

Main Breaker at bottom of Panel? [ 5 Answers ]

On a 200 Amp, Main Breaker Panel, If you are changing panel out, and wires are short, and instead of bugging on more, can Main Breaker be at bottom of Panel to eleminate Splicing, Providing switching is side to side. Verticle breaker, down would be on and not code?

Breaker size in main panel to support sub panel? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I am wiring a sub-panel to the outside of my home (50 feet from main 200 amp box). I ran 3 wire - 6 gauge. What is the largest 2 pole breaker I can put in the main panel to supply the sub-panel. TYPE NM-B 6-3 WITH GROUND 600 VOLTS CIRTEX-I EZ-STRIP (R) PLUS 17:11 2/5/07 SB/RC ...

Main breaker panel [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm looking for a 100 or 125 amp 30 or 32 space main breaker panel(not a mlo) and have been unable to find one. Can some one tell me where I can get one with the main installed? Thanks Jim

View more questions Search