Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2009, 10:14 AM
    Gold Fish
    Hello Got a 10 gallon tank for my son Christmas. Yesterday I bought 9 gold fish.

It looks like there is plenty of room for other or more fish. I am also thinking of adding real plants.

The thing is the info I am getting on the net is 10 gallon tank is not even big enough for one gold fish. I do not get that and think its full of crap.

I also was feeding flakes at first and they went crazy. Tried the pellets and they just kept spitting it back out.

Stick with flakes or just let them get hungry enough they learn to like the pellets?

Thank you for anybody help..

Joe
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2009, 10:23 AM

Try breaking the pellets into smaller pieces. I'm no expert on fish, on fishING maybe, but not tank fish. And I have personally had more fish in that volume of water. As long as the water in oxygenated, they should be fine.

Now, someone here is going to correct me. So, I repeat: I HAVE, and they SHOULD.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2009, 10:06 AM

Where are all the pet experts??
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2010, 10:50 AM

10 gals is not big enough for 9 goldfish. You're probably looking at upgrading to a 55 gal if you do want to keep all 9 goldfish. The ratio for fish is 1 inch per gal. Goldfish typically get to be 12 inches long and can live for years. Unfortunately if you do not upgrade your tank, fish will start to die. It is a complete wives tale that fish will only grow to their surroundings. The real truth is, fish will grow until they outgrow their tank and die because of the high ammonia levels that have been created by their own feces.

Goldfish are also very dirty fish. I would recommend to not add any more fish to your tank. I have heard people successfully add non-goldfish to their goldfish tank, and some people kill ever fish they put in that tank. Its up to you if you would like to try, but I would not recommend it.

As for feeding, goldfish are vegetarian, find a good flaked food that won't cloud your water. I'm not a fan of pellets for vegetarian fish because a lot of the time the pellets sink to the bottom and the fish don't go looking for it. Feed them once or twice a day. Just because fish act hungry, doesn't mean they are. Also, if you give them a slice of orange every day, it will help enhance their colors. Be sure to take the orange slice out after 3 hours to avoid dirtying up your tank.

If you want to go with live plants, then be aware that your goldfish will more than likely eat them. A good hardy plant is Java fern. Its bitter in taste. The fish don't eat on it AS MUCH... and I think their dark green leaves are very good looking up against the bright gold of the fish.
    joyluo1999 Posts: 240, Reputation: 12

Jan 2, 2010, 08:27 PM

9 fish is too much for a ten gallon tank. You should either get a bigger tank or get rid of a few fish.

As for live plants as long as you don't have water snails to eat up the plants you can get a few live plants. Goldfish don't always eat live plants.

Joy
    Boots011 Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Jan 4, 2010, 03:58 PM

Like the above comments, 10 gallons is too small for goldfish. I would only recommend goldfish for a 20g+ aquarium. Also, the kind of goldfish you buy is going to affect the tank requirements. Comets grow long to about a foot/foot and a half, while "fancy" goldfish like orandas, ryukin, moors, and fantail grow out to about softball size and bigger. When buying a tank, the longer the better. Goldfish are "horizontal" swimmers, meaning they don't swim up and down but rather scavenge around the bottom or mid-level.

Goldfish are very high-maintenance. Because of their cold-water requirements, they are more susceptible to ich--a deadly parasite that thrives in cooler water. Also they suffer from a variety of intestinal problems like bloat and dropsy, as well as different fungal infections and velvet. Take into account the fact that goldfish are carp. They do not have stomachs; instead they have a very long intestinal tract. This leaves room for a variety of complications that intensify if perfect water quality is not maintained.

Goldfish are great personality fish, however they need a lot of room-- in the same vein as cichlids. 55 minimum for the number of fish you have now. If you want plants, your options are limited as goldfish will eat just about everything. Try swords, anubias, crypts, ferns, or moss. These are all low-maintenance plants and will *not* be devoured by your fish.

Good luck. Do your research. There are books and websites aplenty. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I have a 20 gallon fish tank and my fish are dying [ 6 Answers ]

I got a fish tank and evrything was good and my fish were having fish, and I just added water to the fish tank and just 2 days ago I notes that every time that I check my fish tank there are a lot of fish dead I want to know why?

Gold fish seems water logged [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My problem is with my goldfish. This goldfish is in an outside tank and almost 2 weeks ago I changed 2/3 of the water, got sidetracked and forgot to turn the filter and pump back on until the next morning. I have 5 big goldfish and 2 algae eaters in this tank. The only fish affected by this...

Fish are dying. Again in fish tank. [ 3 Answers ]

Ph is high in this, the second try. All my fish died a few weeks ago, over night. Cleaned out tank and have introduced a few new fish. Now they have began to die. The ph is high, and I am trying to bring it down using peat moss this time. I have a coral rock in the tank. Could this be a problem...

Red Spots on gold fish? [ 2 Answers ]

I currently own a 5 gallon tank with 2 goldfish and a pleco. The tank was just treated for high ammonia and the fish were put back in today. One of my goldfish, a comet, has a cluster of red spots near his tail fin. I did some research but I came up with a lot of possibilities. They were Red Pest,...

Gold Fish Cloudy Tank [ 2 Answers ]

We have 3 fairly large gold fish species, what size tank is adequate? One is showing signs of listing and black spots? They only get feed once a day and filter is changed often. Help grand kids coming soon. Thanks

View more questions Search