Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2010, 05:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by adam_89 View Post
    What did you want to teach?
    MATH:eek: Good thing, my dream bubble burst, I'm not very good at the new stuff:rolleyes:
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2010, 08:34 PM

Its wonderful most people have dreams of being something,like Synn said so many kids had already known what they wanted to be when they grew up.Teaching,being a vet,a police officer, hair stylist etc.

I think I am one of the few who never had an exact goal.At 29,still trying to find out what I want to be .Funnily enough I know I can do almost anything if I tried.:D
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2010, 08:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by firmbeliever View Post

I think I am one of the few who never had an exact goal.At 29,still trying to find out what I want to be .Funnily enough I know I can do almost anything if I tried.:D
    I agree, I believe I could do anything I truly wanted to do, and at this point I am doing it. Right now in my life I want to be a homemaker and I am very good at it. Who knows what I will want next year:D
    adam_89 Posts: 1,866, Reputation: 280
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2010, 05:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    I wanted to be a brain surgeon, but, one of the things that I chose to do was to be a piano tuner/technician.

I thought doing that might be more of a challenge! :D
    Well you seem to be doing very well at what you are doing now from what I read so keep up the good work and have fun Clough!
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2010, 06:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mudweiser View Post
    haha there is no age here but I couldn't see myself 45 and still bartending...

I should. I'm saving up for school for this fall.

I just don't want to go crazy and see all that money and think "ooo plastic surgery"

ahhh
    What would a girl like you need plastic surgery for?

It is good you are pursuing something though.
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2010, 06:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Dahlia View Post
    MATH:eek: Good thing, my dream bubble burst, I'm not very good at the new stuff:rolleyes:
    You could have done 5th grade math. It is easy to teach I am sure. I always wanted to be a high school teacher because a lot of teachers were mean and I would have like to show the kids that there are some cool teachers. Maybe every teacher starts that way and it all goes to hell down the road.
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2010, 06:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by firmbeliever View Post
    Its wonderful most people have dreams of being something,like Synn said so many kids had already known what they wanted to be when they grew up.Teaching,being a vet,a police officer, hair stylist etc.

Well, at least when you figure it out you won't have any trouble making the goal.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 06:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by adam_89 View Post
    You could have done 5th grade math. It is easy to teach I am sure. I always wanted to be a high school teacher because alot of teachers were mean and I would have like to show the kids that there are some cool teachers. Maybe every teacher starts out that way and it all goes to hell down the road.
    All of my friends that DID become teachers left the field or went to teach at private schools within 4 years, because they burned out so badly on the politics, bureaucracy, red tape, and the fact that they were getting kids to memorize stuff for standardized tests--NOT actually teaching them.
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2010, 06:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post
    All of my friends that DID become teachers left the field or went to teach at private schools within 4 years, because they burned out so badly on the politics, bureaucracy, red tape, and the fact that they were getting kids to memorize stuff for standardized tests--NOT actually teaching them.
    Wow, I never thought of that. Actually memorizing stuff instead of teaching. That is not good. I heard things like that happening a lot. The whole teachers quitting over all the politics and dumb things. It is sad to hear that kind of thing.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2010, 09:50 AM

I agree Synn,
    Our high school teachers, they were gems, but they left quite soon after we finished high school.The school management changed and the whole atmosphere changed and the teachers found it hard to keep the kids interested in studies with too much going on.

Now they have discipline problems, and small groups that act like gangs not wanting to mingle outside their own kind.
    Sadly almost every teacher who taught us has left and the ones still working miss what the school used to be.

I am glad to have had wonderful teachers (not all,but most) who taught me more than what's in books.

Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2010, 10:03 AM

Yes, I agree, the most difficult part was to memorize... I still have some trouble to memorize all the formulae I have to use in Maths and Physics and Chemistry the reactions and conditions for the reactions to take place, and the examples I have to use in my essays :(
    rosemcs Posts: 325, Reputation: 47

Feb 14, 2010, 10:19 PM

Hi Adam,

I know two people that trained to be police officers, but quit because of the politics. Basically, both could not stand how their boss made them treat people that were suspects, or getting arrested. There is still a lot of racism in the country.

My grandfather was the chief of police during the time of the Detroit riots. He kept that job most of his life. Him and another good friend, as chiefs in different towns, both stated how much paperwork they had to fill out all the time, and were stuck in the office. So, politics is found in many fields... and that was even before all the extra red tape found in today's society.

I always thought it would be fun to be a different career for a week and then switch it. One part of my heaven would be spent as a top notch respected employee, switching jobs just to live as someone else did for a very brief time. One week a cop, one a lawyer, one a professional ice skater, etc. But, I don't want to stick with the career, just "try" it for a bit.

I went into a few careers already and can always have them on the side as a backup, but feel that a big part of me is the computer field, so that is what I am focusing on.

You have to take into account the jobs that are in high demand and ask yourself which one you will be comfortable doing in the long term. There are many jobs you probably do not even know exist until you start studying lists of careers.
    cal823 Posts: 867, Reputation: 116

Mar 19, 2010, 08:04 AM

I want to work with animals. I want to help them. I also want to help people.
    I am doing a certificate 3 in Companion Animal Services, and doing work Prac in a vet clinic.
    I am also a consumer rep for child at adolescent mental health services in my local area.

So I am on my way to my goal I spose.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2010, 12:44 PM
    Well hello, cal823!

Long time, no see!
    cal823 Posts: 867, Reputation: 116

Mar 21, 2010, 12:25 AM

Clough! Heya!

Yeah, sorry about my frequent returns and even more frequent disapearances from this site :p

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Life in heaven or life on earth? [ 21 Answers ]

Given a choice of living forever in perfect health on a paradise earth or living forever in heaven as a spirit, which would you choose?

I want a better life [ 1 Answers ]

I am a 18 year old college student and I have seen a lot in life. My mom has been a single parent for as long as I remember she is a mother of 4, and married 3 times. All me and my sisters could use therapy or something. We have all seen divorce. We all always wanted to have a father figure in our...

I lost the love of my life, my life doesn't make sense anymore [ 4 Answers ]

I lost mybestfriend and love of my life 2 weeks ago and I don't understand my lifes purpose anymore, we had a connection so strong this doesn't make sense, everything I did in my over the past 22 years was for me however the constant knowing we would be together, we had 3 years to go before...

View more questions Search