Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2009, 12:09 AM
    Are you allergic to Betadine?
    Just wondering if such an allergy is shared by anyone. My ophthalmologist, after using Betadine twice on my eyes, relented grudgingly and used a different antibacterial ointment./drop. He gave me plenty of attitude as I was really putting him out by asking him to "hold the Betadine please."

Both times the Betadine was used on my eyes, My lids swelled to the size of golf balls and I was shaking with the pain, crying curled up in a ball for 4-5 hours as soon as the numbing stuff wore off. Of course I had gotten home when I started to feel it.:(
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Dec 29, 2009, 01:04 AM

The main ingredient in betadine is iodine. Lots of people are allergic to it. It's one of the questions they ask you when you're giving blood.

It's a medical condition that ANY doctor should be fine working around. If he has a problem with it, go to a different doctor. Find one who is willing to work with you, instead of ignoring your concerns. When you're dealing with something as sensitive as your eyes, you should be as careful as possible. The last thing you need is permanent damage because of an allergic reaction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Allergic to platinum? [ 3 Answers ]

Can you be allergic to platinum jewelry?

Allergic Reaction or WHAT! [ 5 Answers ]

Today is Thursday. Monday morning I started my day off normal only to notice really bad itching accompanied with the feeling of getting bit by a bug. It feels kind of like a fly biting me. It occurs all over my arms and belly and back. I have a few reb blood marks like something has bit me. I...

Allergic to corn [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm allergic to corn flower. It means that I'm allergic to corn starch also? Who's allergic to an ingredient is allergic to the relative starches? ( potatoes- potato starch) thank you very much

Am I allergic? [ 3 Answers ]

I have been getting in a hot tub for close to two months now. It has never bothered me and I have never had an allergies that I know of but for some reason the past couple time I've been in my skin gets really irritated and itchy. After I get out I notice rashes all over and in some places my skin...

Allergic reaction [ 2 Answers ]

Our dachsund got his distemper and rabies shot yeasturday. They said he may have a alergic reation and he is getting lumps that are coming and going throughout his head area. His ears are red on the inside too. Please advise, thank you

View more questions Search