Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lgentry Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2009, 07:06 PM
    Can a debt collector garnish my entire bank account
    I have a joint with my 16 year son. His account was frozen due to my garnishment because I am a co signer on his account. Can the debt collector seize his money?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 28, 2009, 07:17 PM

Yep. Once they obtain a judgment, they can attach any asset that you are listed as a co-owner. If you can prove that all the money in that account came from your son's income, you might be able to get the attachment vacated. Otherwise its will be turned over to them.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 28, 2009, 08:03 PM

You have to be a listed owner of the account, so you have a joint account with your son.

Your son can file in court and prove that all or part of the money is his, that he earned from his own jobs and working

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which debt collector can garnish our taxes [ 2 Answers ]

How can we find out if when filing taxes it would be garnished. And what debt collectors can garnish our taxes.

Can Debt Collector Garnish Husband Wages For wife's Debt [ 3 Answers ]

Prior to even meeting my husband I inccured a credit card debt which I have since defaulted on. I just recently received a summons in response to this debt and am unable to pay the amount in full. Are they able to garnish my husbands check for a my debt as that I am a homemaker with no income?

Garnish bank account [ 2 Answers ]

Can you tell me if a utility company can garnish my bank account for a 1 year old bill not paid

How much of a debt must you rack up before a collector can garnish wages? [ 3 Answers ]

I was dumb enough to sign up for a 2 year contract at a tanning salon. It's a long story, but to make the long story short they are trying to say I owe 2 more months then i actually do. For health reasons i did not even tan but a year of the contract and paid the other year. I REFUSE to even pay...

View more questions Search