Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    themdg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2009, 03:11 PM
    Wiring a hot tub
    My hot tub was wired for a 240V line in the previous owners location. Looking at the wiring diagram, and in the control box itself, I see that it can be fitted with a 120V line instead (provided the 120V line is on it's own circuit).

The manual I have is generic so it doesn't go into how to actually do this wiring. After studying the manual, it seems to be a matter of 1) switching the wiring harness inside the control box from 240V to 120V (little white plugs... just switched them) and 2) wiring up a new GFCI protected 120V (and at least 20A) power source to the bare wires in the control box. I've done the first part, but the wiring has me a bit confused. So, here is my question:

These are 3 leads and a grounding screw in the control box. The leads are White (neutral), Black (L1), Blue (L2). My new power source cable has 3 leads... White (neutral), Black (hot), Green (ground.) I connected the Green to the ground screw in the control box, the White to the White in the control box and the Black to the Black in the control box. I wasn't sure what to do with the Blue (L2) so I capped it off for now.

When I tried powering up this setup, my GFCI breaker switched off. Something isn't right. Can you shed any light on this? Should L2 be used in some other way?
    themdg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2009, 03:12 PM

Also, before the GFCI switched, I noticed that the "Miswire" light illuminated on the control box. Definitely something not right...
    Dr_Spa Posts: 101, Reputation: 13

Dec 29, 2009, 10:18 PM

There's a high degree of certainty the answer to your question is dependent on the actual brand of spa you're working with.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot tub wiring [ 2 Answers ]

How much does it cost to hardwire a hot tub

Wiring a hot tub. [ 5 Answers ]

I am going to be wiring a hot tub on the deck. I bought it from someone that sold their house. I have two questions. The motor says it is rated for 40 Amps, yet the it was hooked up to a 50 Amp breaker. Should I hook it back up to a 50 Amp breaker or should I go with a 40 Amp breaker? The...

Wiring a hot tub [ 1 Answers ]

I picked up an older 2-3 person hot tub. Spa is the brand. I have not manual for the spa. The motor on the pump says Volts 115, AMPS 16.4/4.4, HZ 60, RPMS 3450/1725, AMPS 40 C. There is a 30 breaker in the wiring box that goes to the thermostat, motor and the on/off switch. What size wire...

Wiring hot tub [ 7 Answers ]

When running wire from electrical box to hot tub should I use conduit (outdoor) or is there under ground rated 240v wire. Also what is appropriate wire size?

Hot Tub wiring [ 2 Answers ]

I installed a gfi breaker at the main box but wanted to double check my work. The neutral white wire from breaker goes to the ground bar. But does the solid copper ground lead go their also? Thanks

View more questions Search