Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mattp Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2006, 05:02 PM
    Tub Installation on Concrete Slab
    I am going to be installing a tub in my basement on a concrete slab. I currently have a tub drain piple sticking out of the concrete about 12 inches and capped off. The concrete around the pipe looks like it was poured after the slab was because it is rough and uneven, unlike the even cement around the toilet drain pipe 30+ inches from it. My questions is this. Code requires a p tape. Is there a way for me to confirm if a p-tape has already been installed under the concrete without breaking the whole thing up?

Thanks

Matt

Nov 14, 2006, 06:24 PM
    How can I tell?
    I am trying to install a tub in my basement on a concrete slab. I already have a drain pipe sticking out of the concrete about 9 inches. Looks like concrete was filled around it at a later time because not smooth like rest of slab. Is there a way for me to tell if a P trap is already been installed under the concrete other then breaking up the concrete to see. The pipe is currently sealed at the top.

I would love to not have to break up the concrete if I don't have. Any suggestions to seeing if there is a p trap already installed?

Thanks

Matt

Nov 14, 2006, 06:28 PM
    Installing a P trap??
    If you can't tell if a p-trap has installed below the cement slab level on rough in plumbing in a basement is it possible to install one above ground without it affecting the draining of water? I am going to install a shower in my basement bathroom and I have high ceilings so instead of dig all the concrete out I was just going to build the shower on platform so I can run all the drain plumbing above ground. I will then have one step up into the shower. Can this p-trap be done above ground?

Thanks

Matt
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 15, 2006, 05:22 AM
    "My questions is this. Code requires a p tape. Is there a way for me to confirm if a p-tape has already been installed under the concrete without breaking the whole thing up?"
    If you have a pipe sticking up then you have a trap installed. Another way is to pour a gallon of water down the pipe and measure the depth by putting a stick down to the bottom. You should have 4 inches of water on the end. Take a hammer and tape around the pipe. There should be a square hole called a tub dap-out there. Sometimes the cement guys overpour the dap-out and the overpour must be removed.
    Good luck, Tom

Nov 15, 2006, 05:26 AM
    Tom,

How big will the square hole be around the pipe?
    Thanks for your help.:o
    Matt
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 15, 2006, 05:45 AM
    About 14 X14" square. Regards, Tom

Nov 15, 2006, 05:48 AM
    Great thanks. What is the purpose of the square hole if the pipe is already to go? Just curious why I have to jackhammer all the concrete back out of the hole?
    Thanks again.

Matt

Nov 15, 2006, 08:03 AM
    Do I have to
    If I am just going to elevate the shower off the floor, do I have to break up the concrete around the drain pipe coming out of the concrete slab? Can I just put route it to the shower drain itself. I am trying to stay on budget and don't want to have to have someone come in a break up the concrete reroute the drain if I can just do it above ground and hide it behind a wall.

Thanks
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 15, 2006, 08:07 AM
    If this is overpour around the raiser you shouldn't have to jackhammer it out. Just take a hammer and smack it. The reason for the dap-out is that the tailpiece from the tub shoe tee will connect to the trap raiser under the floor line. If there is no square hole there the plumber left you a shower rough in. If you wish to install a tub you will have to take a cement saw and make your own dap-out. The correct measure for a tub raiser is 15 1/2 inches off the side wall and 1 1/2 inches out from the front plate. If this isn't correct then it must be moved to set a bath tub.
    Good luck, Tom
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 15, 2006, 08:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mattp
    If I am just going to elevate the shower off the floor, do I have to break up the concrete around the drain pipe coming out of the concrete slab? Can I just put route it to the shower drain itself. I am trying to stay on budget and don't want to have to have someone come in a break up the concrete reroute the drain if i can just do it above ground and hide it behind a wall.

Thanks
    WHAT'S GOING ON? When did we stop discussing a bathtub installation and start to talk ab out a shower? I'm completely confused. Tom

Nov 15, 2006, 08:21 AM
    Tom,
    so if I want to put a stand up shower in,(ie Mustee shower base), I can just elevate it to create just enough slope to drain to the rough in plumbing. Have you seen this done. I have a 32x32 base and the drain is 2' off the wall. I don't want to take up concrete to run it 16inches in the center of the shower base. What are your suggestions.

THanks

Matt

Nov 15, 2006, 08:23 AM
    Sorry for the confusion. I am trying to do whatever is easier. A stand up shower or standard tub. The wife does not care. I curretnly have a 32x32 Mustee fiberglass shower base but not sure if I should do that or a regular tub. What are your suggestions.

Sorry for the confusion.

Matt
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 15, 2006, 09:15 AM
    First you must ascertain what you're roughed for. I've given you the measures for a tub rough and instructions on how to determine if you have a tub dap-out. You tell me what's easier. Regards, Tom

Nov 15, 2006, 09:26 AM
    Tom,

I think this whole situation is just intimidating me. I have the drain pipe that comes out of the concrete. There is a hole that is probably close to 14x14 that is cut out of the slab and then covered again with concrete. I think I am just going to frame the wall to fit a standard tub and move on. I will finish the adjacent bedroom and leave the bathroom for later on when I can pay someone to do the work. Thanks for you help.

Matt
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 16, 2006, 06:39 AM
    Don't be afraid to smack the overpour on the dap-out with a hammer and open it up. You may then set the tub in the normal way. Regards, Tom
    cooper00 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2007, 07:21 AM
    Need assistance with drain hookup when on a slab.
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 3, 2007, 09:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper00
    need assistance with drain hookup when on a slab.
    OK, I assume that the raiser's PVC. Make sure the trap raiser's open and above the tail piece of the tub waste and overflow. Prime and glue on a compression fitting, (see image). Slip the PVC nut and gasket on the tail piece and set the tub and tailpiece in the open raiser. Tighten the nut and you're home free. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installation of a shower stall on a concrete slab [ 6 Answers ]

How is the drain of a shower stall connected to the ptrap that has been roughed in, in a concrete slab during new house construction to make a water tight connection? The ptrap is PVC.

Installing shower or tub on concrete slab [ 1 Answers ]

mattp New Member Join Date: Nov 2006 Posts: 1 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am getting started on installing a full bath in my basement and I am some what intimidated by the tub/shower situation. I have a rough in for the tub...

Moving drain in custom shower, whirlpool tub and toilet on concrete slab [ 4 Answers ]

I am finalizing plans to update a master bathroom that sits on a concrete slab. My question is: can shower, whirlpool tub and toilet drain holes be moved without drilling into the concrete? If so, what is the maximum amount that the holes can be repositioned without having to drill? I would...

Using existing tub drain line in concrete slab [ 4 Answers ]

I am installing a new whirlpool tub in place of an existing conventional tub. The old sink drain terminates into a concrete slab. The new sink drain will be at least 2 feet from the old. What are my options? Is there anyway of tieing in the new drain into the old drain without taking up all the...

Hooking up drain for shower/tub on concrete slab [ 3 Answers ]

I have a unfinished bathroom in the basement on a cement slab. The rough in plubming is in place with a about a 12x12 hole in the cement. How do I hook up the drain to the Ptrap. I do not have access from the side wall. Do I need to cut an access hole in the adjacent room?

View more questions Search