Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dabrdabr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2009, 09:58 AM
    Can a wall phone jack be replaced with a flush jack
    The wall jack currently has some gray pieces already wired however the wires have disintegrated can I cut this off restrip the wire coming out of the wall and install a regular flush jack. If not how difficult would it be to rewire a wall phone jack?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2010, 12:26 PM

Easy, Just hook red to red, green to green which is usually line 1.
    Then yellow to yellow, green to green for line 2.
    You may have twisted pairs(UTP), then hook white/blue to green, blue/white to red, white/orange to black and orange/white to yellow.
    If still no luck, look for 48 volts DC on a pair(red is negative and green is positive).
    If someone calls while you are touching the wires, you can get shocked, Haven't known it to kill, enough to remind you not to touch both at the same time.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 5, 2010, 03:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    If someone calls while you are touching the wires, you can get shocked, Haven't known it to kill, enough to remind you not to touch both at the same time.
    First a true confession - which you may find amusing, Stratmando -then a more seroius story:

When I first joined Bell Labs way back in the pre-divestiture days my mentor took me to an NJ Bell central office to see how things worked. We were looking at a Main Distributing Frame (MDF), and as we were talking with the CO supervisor I absent-mindedly leaned up against the exposed terminals where the switch gets cross-connected to the outside plant pairs. Of course you know, and I know (now) that -48v DC is always present on these lines, and that if ringing is applied you get 96 volts AC added on. Well, as you might guess, with the palm of my hand bridged across perhaps 20 pairs of exposed outside plant terminals I received a pretty surprising shock, which caused my hand to jerk back and I dropped my notebok. I tried to act nonchalant about it, but of course, everyone laughed at the stupid newbie.

On a more serious note - several years later I heard about a case of a technician who fell off a ladder while working on one of those old 14-foot tall MDFs. He ended up paralyzed. He claimed that he felt a pain in his arm while tacing a jumper wire - I guess he may have been shocked and then recoiled from it just as I had, but unfortunately he was in a far more dangerous place when it happened to him.

So yes - be aware of ringing voltages.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2010, 05:46 AM

An old post but saw a mistake in my first response:
    Line 2 is usually yellow and black, not yellow and green.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rewiring my phone jack so that I can have my phone on one and my internet [ 1 Answers ]

I am getting internet in my house and the phone co. said I had to rewirer the line in my bedroom so it would not mess with my other phone line how do I rewire it and do you have a pic I could go by

I want to change a merlin jack to a regular jack [ 1 Answers ]

I have a merlin system that I want to change. I think there is a way to change the cords in the jack to make them work with regular phones. Can anyone give me clear instructions about how to do this? Thanks so much... gail

Add a phone jack [ 1 Answers ]

I need to add a jack in the same room. Can I connect it to the existing jack on the other side of the room?

Connection of phone to caller ID to Fax from wall jack [ 1 Answers ]

In what order do I connect a landline phone to a caller ID and to a fax machine from the wall jack so that all three will work properly?

Phone jack wiring [ 1 Answers ]

How is the jack to be wired to the wires coming from the wall?

View more questions Search