Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2009, 08:38 PM

I think I'll set up a Depends vending machines at the major airports.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2009, 09:10 PM

My biggest problem with the latest "terrotist"... how did this guy actually board an airplane with NO passport, no luggage, etc. This was definitely an inside job already set up ahead of time to perpetrate yet another "fake" airplane bombing. The guy's dad is some Nigerian Banker for cripes sakes. This kid certainly had the money to obtain a passport and didn't. Doesn't that strike you as odd? It sure does me.

As for staying in your seat the final hour of the flight... now that is downright nuts. And also I read that if you spend too much time in the john you will be considered a terrorist. Great. What will they think of next? You can't leave your seat at all? And now they are carrying on that you have to arrive 4 hours early for your flight. At that rate why not just drive your car if you can?

I'm really of the mind that the government is really trying to ban airplane travel period or make it so obnoxious that people will use other forms of transportation and shun air travel.

This is just another way to control the population and the sheeple. Make more and more rules when convenient "terrorist" acts happen.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2009, 03:57 AM
    The stupid government says there are 500,000 people on the list this terrorist was on, so how can they possibly keep track of them??
    Yes it seems surreal that they would say that. Why not recruit the services of the credit reporting companies ? They seem to know everything about everyone.
    Simply stated ;if your name shows up on the list a minimum requirement should be El Al style screening .

Another thing that evidently got overlooked was a requirement for Air Marshalls on international flights coming into the US . I am hearing rumors that the Dutch refuse to allow armed Air Marshals on flights to and from their airports. If that's the case air routes from Amsterdam should be suspended until they agree.
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2009, 06:53 AM

The President after days of silence spoke ;and apparently got the wrong message from the attack.

“This incident demonstrates that an alert and courageous citizenry are far more resilient than an isolated extremist. As a nation, we will do everything in our power to protect our country. As Americans, we will never give in to fear or division. We will be guided by our hopes, our unity and our deeply held values. That's who we are as Americans.”
    44 - Transcript of Obama remarks on airline security and terror watch lists

(for now I will ignore the irony of praising an alert and courageous citizenry he intends to make forever dependent on the nanny-state... or the fact that the person who subdued the would be bomber was Dutch)

This is not an isolated incident by an isolated extremist .This was an attack on the country by al-Aqaeda in the Arabian Peninsula from it's base of operation in Yemen.
    In his address the President contradicted himself by saying “We will not rest until we find all those who were involved and hold them accountable” .

So what is it ,an isolated extremist ,or just one of many who plotted the attack ?
    This is the same bologna he used to describe the Fort Hood attack.

Dutch military police currently are investigating a witness's description of an accomplice who helped Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab to board the plane in Amsterdam.

He was in Yemen since August training for the attack .He claims he is just one of many and yesterday AQ took responsibility for the attack.

Mr President please wake up! Your attempt to down play this does not work. These are not the actions of lone wolfs . These are the actions of jihadistan which continues to wage war against us despite your desires for the war to go away. When your enemy tells you they plan on destroying you it is a good plan to take them at their words.
    The danger is not in the isolated extremist .It is that there is a political ideology that actively promotes such extremism.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2009, 08:11 AM

For the life of me I still do not get our 'leaders' downplaying this jihad as acts of isolated extremists. Is being politically correct really that important?
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2009, 08:34 AM

You've got to read WaPo's article on this "lonely" misunderstood jihadist. If he only had a friend perhaps he wouldn't have taken this road. Awww...
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2009, 11:55 AM

Via The Weekly Standard and Politico...

Damage Control in 5 Easy Steps!

Politico's Carol E. Lee has an interesting story today on President Obama's "by-now familiar pattern...for dealing with unexpected problems." As best we can figure, the Obama damage control strategy consists of these 5 easy steps:

Step 1: Deny seriousness of issue.
    Step 2: Deny any admin responibility/failure.
    Step 3: Have spokespeople convey O’s feelings to public.
    Step 4: Blame Bush admin.
    Step 5: Concede the issue days later.

Of course, it's very important that you understand the signals to know which step we're at. For example, "Obama heading to the golf course, [Cato Institute fellow Benjamin] Friedman said, 'signals that it’s not a crisis, and he’s the president and he has a lot of things to do and this is just one of them.'" Maybe it's when the president goes bowling that you're supposed to find immediate shelter and duck tape the windows.
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2009, 12:52 PM

"Obama heading to the golf course, [Cato Institute fellow Benjamin] Friedman said, 'signals that it's not a crisis, and he's the president and he has a lot of things to do and this is just one of them.'"
    ... as I recall that was one of the opening scenes in 'Farenheit 911' .
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2009, 03:26 PM

So much for idea it was an "isolated extremist." The Fort Hood cleric personally blessed the Knickerbomber's mission.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Dec 30, 2009, 06:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello NK:

The stupid government says there are 500,000 people on the list this terrorist was on, so how can they possibly keep track of them???

Walmart has over 500,000 items it carries in its stores, and it knows where every one of them is. You're a computer guy. It IS possible for the stupid government to KNOW when one of the 500,000 is getting on a plane...

Otherwise, why would there even BE this list?

excon
    Isn't Walmart an evil, profit making, capitalistic company? Yeah they're the ones, along with all the other profit making, capitalistic pharmacy companies that give the consumer such great deals on generic medications at no cost to the taxpayor, unlike the government's Medicare part D.

And you want a government run public health option??

G&P

Dec 30, 2009, 06:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Walmart does it with RFIDs and barcodes. Since you have to buy tickets before boarding then show ID I assume that they run the names against the database...if you use your real name.

The bigger question is why do people want to blow up americans?
    Apparently they should have chosen a domestic flight if that was true. If Jasper Schuringa believed that load of bull excrement [ that these terrorist just want to kill Americans, ] he would not have subdued this terrorist.

BTW Are those Americans in Darfur? Belsan, Madrid, Bali, London, Mumbai?

G&P
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2009, 06:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by inthebox View Post
    Isn't Walmart an evil, profit making, capitalistic company? And you want a government run public health option???????
    Hello again, in:

Nahhh, cause I'm an evil, profit seeking capitalist too.

Not that it has much to do with Walmart, but YES. I want a government run public option... I'm on Medicare. It's government run health care and it works just fine.

excon

Dec 30, 2009, 06:34 PM

And is going bankrupt, and threatening a 21% cut in payment to physicians. I wonder how many physicians will see new medicare patients then?

G&P
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Dec 31, 2009, 05:37 PM

Ultimately, the head of any company or government is responsible for what happens, good or bad.

Harry Truman had a sign on his desk: "The buck stops here".

The simple truth is that this administration is incompetent, from the president on down.

Will he fire any of his appointees who fouled up?

Not likely. In this case the buck will probably stop on Bush's doorstep.
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2010, 04:45 AM
    Clearly there is a break down ;and my point in recent posts has been that perhaps we should change the premise and not assume this is isolated events of lone wolf criminals who leave their caves to blow themselves up.

Flight 253 ,as well as the Fort Hood attack ;and this week's infiltration of a CIA base in Khost show a higher degree of coordination than your typical criminal attack.

The only known effective defense from terror infiltration is counter-terrorism operations i.e.. Taking the fight to the enemy.

By now the President has heard the blame shifting reports by Napolitano and Dennis Blair of NTCT;and presumably Leon Panetta.Politics being his major concern,he no doubt is doing the calculus to see how many mid-level heads need to be thrown under the bus.

I am looking at maybe investing in stock for OSI and L3 Communications ,the companies that make full body scan machines.If I have to show my naked body to civil service workers I should at least be paid for it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How has the government government legislate morality? [ 4 Answers ]

How has the government government legislate morality?

Am I stupid? [ 3 Answers ]

I am here only because I do not want to speak to my family or friends, again. I have been living common law with this guy for about 5 years.. it has had its ups and downs. I own my own home and have been standing on my own two feet since I was 18. About two years ago I caught him on an internet...

Being stupid [ 6 Answers ]

Hey, I was recently charged for theft way under 5000 dollars, I am so scared of going to jail because I have kids. I am only 23 and this is my first ever offence. I also live in nova scotia. If that helps any. The person from the store didn't charge me at all, but the cop said that I was being...

Stupid, Stupid Me. [ 13 Answers ]

So I had unprotected sex with someone I knew for a day. I am usually very good about these things but things just got out of control. She went back to the states and I haven't talked to her since nor do I have a way to. I pulled out before I finished but then we continued after that. My question...

View more questions Search