Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    4forwalker Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2006, 04:26 PM
    Mold in cinder block house.
    I hope I am posting in the right place. I am an American living in Bucharest Romania.

We rent a house.. a very old house with a small basement that we do not use. It is very musty and probably moldy... but I have never ventured that far. My husband has been down there and it is empty except for a water storage tank installed by a prior tenant. It is full of water but we have never used it. So I will look into having it emtied asap.

We have noticed some health problems. Sneezing a dry cough and a rash that could be related to the mold in the basement. Our dog also pees in one room and I have been told animals don't like the smell of mold so they try to mark over it.

I have read some of the websites but they all say if the problem is "big" a professional should be consulted. If it is indeed mold and it is too big to handle ourselves we would move but I am not sure we would be able to find a home in Bucharest without a mold problem. So I would like to address the problem... and stay here.

The home is cinder block, the yard is concrete. Can I safely hire a contractor to clean the basement and install a ventilation system?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions. Romania is at least 20 years behind the rest of europe and if I try to find any information here. It would be very time consuming, and I would be met with a blank stare. Basically if the house is standing it is safe to live in.

Thank you

:confused:
    scri8e Posts: 92, Reputation: 7

Nov 14, 2006, 06:46 PM
    It depends on the type of mold is the standard
    Here in the states. There are mold testing kits
    Available state side at Lowe's and Home depot. Perhaps you could mail order a couple?
    I am rather surprised at claim of a mold problem in a cinder brick house. The reason I am surprised is that in California USA our building codes have changed from using "Green Board" in bathrooms and in kitchens for the walls of the dwellings to "Cement board" with the reasoning being that "Cement board" does not have mold issues where as green board does. I have personally done my own mold redemtion in one of my rentals. We used several different products and methods to R and R the walls and
    Make the kitchen a mold free environment.
    You can purchase (again for you perhaps only by mail order?) products like Killz paint and Killz primer that has mold stuff in the paint.
    You can also purchase from building supply a chemical to mix with water to spray down the walls. I don't have the name of product in front of me at the moment. If you want it post again and I will try and locate the name and
    Store I bought it at.

Your basic mold fighting tools are these:

1.) locate and eliminate the water source that is causing the mold problem. Usually it is LEAKING PLUMBING. In the walls. If you don't cure the water source problem that is feeding the mold. You will never solve the problem.

2.) Use common BLEACH and water mixed 5 parts water to 1 part bleach in a sprayer and spray everything down. Allow plenty of air circulation. Make sure everything is dry.
    Then do it one more time to be sure. You could then use the Killz primer and killz paint.

Regarding your dog peeing inside. I would think that is doing nothing but adding to a health issue. As dog urine is the dogs waste product.
    Is the dog house broken?

This may not be a mold issue at all. It could very well be a "quality of drinking and bathing water!" It could also be parasites from your environment. I suggest you look at some of the photos at the University of Ohio parasite website of rashes from parasites and see if
    Your rash isn't parasite related. Any other neighbors that are american having the same problem/s? Try asking at the embassy. It maybe that you not being born and raised in that environment your body is not able to fight what the locals bodies can as they grew up there. Good luck to you!

Nov 14, 2006, 11:32 PM
    I don't think that the toxic type of mold can grow on cement? Cinder bricks are cement. You posted this in EXTERIOR home repairs. Is the mold growing on the OUTSIDE of the house? If so mold growing on the outside on cinder brick is common and as far as I know it is not harmful. In fact it may be moss and not 'mold' at all.

Depending on the type of rash... Where the rash is appearing on the body. If the rash has
    A identifing 'pattern' such as a circular pattern? If it is in a circle pattern I would be looking into details of ringworm infection.

Where does the water for the house come from? The storage tank in the basement makes sense. You say that you don't use the water from there?

I don't know much about that area of the world but it seems logical that if there is a storage water tank in the basement that your water is coming from there or a well / spring is feeding your water to the house. The storage tank may indeed be a reserve for drought conditions?
    If your water is not passing through a sanitary cleaning station, but it is coming from a well or spring directly? I would be checking that water for health quality. Parasites in well water are VERY common. Parasites will cause a rash. Parasites will cause the cough, runny eyes/nose, and sneezing. Here are 2 Google searches for you. Parasites in Romania well water has been a problem with heath for a long time. I know of a product you can purchase from canada. I have no affiliation with them other than I have purchased the product for my own use. I hope you do respond. I am most interested if I am correct or way off base. Thank you.

http://www.google.com/search?num=30&...ell+water+rash

http://www.google.com/search?num=30&...tes+well+water
    4forwalker Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2006, 03:51 AM
    Thank you so much for your response. The dog is a puppy and is having a problem house training but he saves pee for this one room only. We keep our of that room but I know there is prior water damage there that has been fixed. I am glad to hear that mold in cinder block is rare or at least easier to control. This type of construction is very foreign to us. I also have not considered other irritants. We did buy some air purifiers from some Americans leaving Romania. I guess that was a good sign that it is a common problem. We have not put them up yet. I guess that will be one of the hubby's "honey do's" this weekend.

Thank you also for the list of products. We are going to be in the states for Christmas so I will print out your respponse and add it to my list of things to bring back.

Nov 15, 2006, 01:11 PM
    You think the puppy is trying to mask the mold. IMO the pup has marked that room as his toilet.
    I suggest you post in the pet forum and ask about how un-train your pup from using that room as his/her potty.

Are you still convinced it's the 'mold'?
    I think it's the water.

This is an excellent product. I have used it myself. My dog and recently my brothers dog.
    It can be used to treat the well also. Phone the guy. He is friendly and happy to answer your questions.

http://www.healthlifes.com/triosun-english-canada.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mold [ 6 Answers ]

Hello my basement is unfished... last year we decided to put up blue stryaphone isolation over concrete walls... I am worried about mold because it is in a basement of an old farm house... if mold should grow behind the 1 inch blue styraphone is there anyway to know... thank you

Mold on outside cinder block wall [ 2 Answers ]

I have black mold growing on my outside cinder block wall sourendering my back yard. I live in Las Vegas so the climate is dry but watering the lawns is causing the mold to grow since we have to water in the evenings so the water does evaporate so fast due to the hot climate. How do I remove this...

Cinder block sitting wall construction help [ 1 Answers ]

I have contracted to have a cinder block with stone accent, and flagstone top installed. The wall is to be 24" high. The landscaper that I contracted with is using a sub on the wall. I over heard the sub telling the landscape company that he need more gravel and mortar for filling in the...

Repairing cinder block foundation [ 0 Answers ]

Hi All, My house is on a hill so the front is at level with the street and the back foundation is partly exposed. The garge is part of the basement and level with the driveway. Over the years water coming down from the roof and building up behind a 2 1/2' retaining wall next to the garage has...

Mold Under the eavs around the house [ 1 Answers ]

Since all the strong rains we had this last rainy season I have been noticing A lot of deffernt tan or blackish looking stains under the eavs.I hope wood rot Or mold is not starting. Does any one know how to prevent these type of problems?I was thinking May be bleach but I am not sure if that...

View more questions Search