Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ke4bzc Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2009, 04:56 PM
    Building a covered deck above a covered front porch
    We are trying to improve the curb appeal and usefulness of our hangar home. We are planning to have a deck built above the covered front porch, and will replace the double windows (the set on the left on the 2nd floor in the front view) with French doors. Because this faces south and we are in the Atlanta area, we feel the deck needs to be covered. We recently had the entire roof replaced with 29-gauge ash grey metal, which we would use on the covering of the new deck.

The deck will be 12 ft. long by 8 ft. deep. What is the best shape for a cover that will be functional, and improve the overall appearance of the house? The home and attached hangar have an unusual roofline. We are not sure if a simple slanted roof will look attractive.

We also do not want to block our view of the runway any more than necessary, so we are hoping that the roof will not need a center support.
    Attached Images

ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 2, 2010, 06:03 PM

I am going to guess there was no architect involved when the hangar was added to the hoe or vice versa. A home designer or architect should come on board for this fix. Pardon but it looks like it flew there and lit. The highest point of the roof line is very wrong even without a hangard attached. You can have a fascade roof line created to give the home some symmetry.
    ke4bzc Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2010, 09:02 AM

The previous owner was apparently an eccentric, elderly gentleman who designed the building himself, and many aspects of it are very, very wrong! We believe that the hangar and the house were built at the same time; perhaps the workshop (currently wrapped in Lowes' wrap) was built later, but we're not sure. We had French doors put on the side of the workshop that is next to the hangar doors, and we will eventually replace the siding. The entire house has vinyl siding that we would like to replace with fiber-cement siding, but can probably only afford to do the front and possibly one or two sides. We're not sure how that will look, though.
    Someone had suggested a façade roof line, but it might be beyond our budget. We are also not sure we want invest in something that is only cosmetic, and does not serve any function. We want to add a deck because we will use it, but want to do it in a way that will at least not make the house look any worse than it does!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deck top. We have a covered deck, planning on expanding deck, a 2x4 crossed cover [ 1 Answers ]

help!! We are planning on expanding our original deck with an open 2x4 crossed cover... do you have pictures or construction help?? Thanks

Beam, post size and connection for semi-covered deck [ 10 Answers ]

I am building a deck with a pergola cover, and would like some advice on size of post, and connection of beam to post. The attached picture shows the basic layout. I plan to put a support beam underneath through the middle (easy), so the effective joist span is only 6'. The front header/beam is...

Installing ceiling fan on covered porch [ 1 Answers ]

I have a covered porch that is lit by 3 can lights that are wired together and operated by one wall switch. I am wanting to replace the middle can light with an exterior ceiling fan. I am trying to figure out if there is any way that I can get around having to fish another electrical line from...

Covered patio on/near pool deck [ 1 Answers ]

I have been wanting to do a covered area of around part of my pool for sometime now. My backyard is quite small - the pool deck starts at the house and ends at the back fence. This will require me to put my posts on my pool deck. It is a cool deck (I think that's the right kind), it looks kind of...

View more questions Search