Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ldnxp00 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2004, 08:33 PM
    Extension underneath a deck
    Hi there.
    I intend to add a play room underneath an existing deck.
    I started digging out to get to the proper height.
    In the process, I hit a fair bit of sandstone.
    Basically the brick wall supporting the house is sitting on the sandstone and I have used a jack hammer to cut straight down into the sandstone to the required height. The whole extension will be sitting on sandstone. I intend to lay about 50mm of 10mm blue metal then lay the 100mm concrete slab. I will leave a 150mm trench around the slab to fit in an agg line that will run into the existing storm water drain. The brick veneer wall will then be built onto the slab. I can't dig the trench around the slad too deep or I will be below my storm water level. Will that be adequate drainage for my new room or should I run 75mm agg line underneath the concrete slab at 1meter center starting from the brick wall or underneath the agg line that runs around the slab and towards the storm water drain.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2004, 09:11 PM
    Re: Extension underneath a deck
    I can't see that much water coming up through the sandstone unless you are in a very wet area. You might put down say 50 mm of gravel between the sandstone and the concrete slab. Use coarse rounded stuff, not crushed rock or pea gravel. Surely that would be enough for any water to flow out to the perimeter drains rather than up through the cement. You might put a plastic membrane under the concrete too.
    ldnxp00 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2004, 09:42 PM
    Extension underneath a deck
    You mean 75 mm agg line or stripdrain is not necessary underneath the slab. Just the plastic and blue metal?
    Being on sandstone already can the slab be less than 100mm.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2004, 05:13 AM
    Re: Extension underneath a deck
    If you don't get this right, it will be very difficult to redo. Concrete isn't that expensive. I would put down the gravel, a plastic membrane, and then the full 100 mm of concrete.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hair extension [ 12 Answers ]

To do my hair in beautiful model for me, I have decided to use hair extension and color for it. Based on my picture, is it possible for me and if so, what model of hair extension and color?

Files with an *.ISO extension [ 20 Answers ]

Does anyone have advice on how to open and use the contents of an *.ISO file?

I want to dye the underneath of my hair brown... [ 3 Answers ]

I want to dye the underneath of my hair dark brown and keep the top blonde. I have no idea how to do this. Do I make a straight line underneath and dye that or is it more specific than that?? I have layers in my so I am not sure where to do the dye. Any help would be great.

Help in PHP extension [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Im triying to built a PHP extension, that will calls some other functions in some other .so files( in windows this is .dll files ) in Linux, I got the following error PHP Warning: Unknown(): Unable to load dynamic library '/opt/httpd/apache/php/ext/libbgt.so' -...

Extension underneath a deck [ 1 Answers ]

While excavating, we realise that the sewer line was running very close to our extension. We thought I would be a good idea to installed a toilet into the room and bathroom too if possible. However the sewer line come just above the top of the slab where we would have joined in to go inside the new...

View more questions Search