Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mmorr19403 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2009, 09:24 AM
    Install a dryer 30 amp circuit breaker 10/2 wire
    I recently installed a 30 amp 2 pole circuit breaker using 10/2 w/ground for a new dryer. At the box, I wired the 10/2 w/ground black to one side and the white to one side of the 30 amp 2 poled breaker and the ground to the side bar for ground.

I also installed a three prong receptacle, wiring the black and white to each top of the "Y" and the ground to the bottom of the "Y". I ran a piece of copper wire from the recptacle box to a cold water copper pipe for grounding purposes.

Does this sound safe or should I have used 10/3 w/ground ?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2009, 09:46 AM
    Should have used #10-3 with ground.

Both using #10-2 and grounding to the water pipe are illegal and violates the National Electric Code.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theory of vacuum Circuit Breaker & sf6 circuit breaker [ 15 Answers ]

I want to know about the basic Theory of vacuum Circuit Breaker & sf6 circuit breaker

Wire size wire & circuit breaker do I need for a 15.8 range [ 2 Answers ]

What size circuit breaker & wire size do I need rfor a 15.8 raqnge ?

Circuit breaker trip after install of GFCI breaker [ 3 Answers ]

I'm replacing an outlet under kitchen sink that garbage disposer and dish washer were plugged into because they stopped working. The old outlet was not GFCI. So I'm attempting to replace it with one. Our home was built in the '50s and has no ground line yet. I used an extension cord to plug them...

Need to run a wire from 50 amp circuit breaker to outside outlets [ 4 Answers ]

My band is performing outside. We have several pieces of equipment that need power. However, we are about 120 feet from the power source where there is a breaker box and 1 outlet. I've been told that this is a 50 amp circuit. I need several outlets to plug in all our gear. I need to know the...

Install 240 circuit breaker [ 1 Answers ]

I just install circuit breaker 240 v ,but when I use the meter it can only read 120 v on each pole when I check both pole I don't see any thing in the meter,:eek: why is this happen Thanks

View more questions Search