Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Glenn Posts: 48, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2004, 08:27 AM
    Vent pipe for washer
    Hello again,

I'm putting a washer where none has existed before (see Washer Height Discharge). You've answered my question about discharging over a door, but now the question about the vent.

There is no vent stack near the washer. Can I run a 2" PVC vent pipe horizontally? I would have the PVC vent pipe come out of the top of the 2" drain pipe near the ceiling going across the door, and then go down to the floor and out to the exterior wall (parallel to the dryer vent). The vertical drop is 8 feet, and the horizontal run is 10 feet. The whole thing would be sealed. The 2" diameter would seem to allow enough air in to keep the water flowing, whether the air is coming from above the house or the side of the house.

Thanks again.

Glenn
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 30, 2004, 05:56 AM
    Vent pipe for washer
    Hi Glen, Welcome back. When I advised you about raising your washer discharge line I was under the impression that you were extending the new washer discharge back to the old washer hookup. Since the old washer hookup is trapped and vented you would not need a second vent since all you are doing is extending the washer hose over to the trap. However if you have moved the trap next to the washer hose and then discharging over 5" away from the stack you will need a separate vent. Have you changed the location of the trap in relation to the vent stack? My advice, Tie the new 10' discharge line directly into the old washer stand pipe. That way you will be both trapped and vented per code. Gd luck and keep me informed. Tom
    shawnhbk Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2005, 07:20 PM
    Odor from washing machine drain
    I have just had all of my drains repaired by a plumber all is working fine except for washer my washer drain is tied in to my septic drain system but has no vent or trap if I just install a trap for my washer drain will that be sufficient? All other drains have traps and studa vents and I have a vent that is tied into septic system that goes to roof but it is old iron line and I'm not sure if it is working properly what should I do? It stinks bad it was not oringinally tied in to my septic syatem but is now
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 5, 2005, 08:45 AM
    Hi Glen,

A washer drain needs all the help it can get. Not installing a vent will put suction on the trap seal, (which you should install at once to prevent sewer gas from entering your house) and slow down the drain action. However you could try it without a vent and if it don't work out install another Studor Vent. Regards, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air Vent pipe replacement [ 1 Answers ]

Hi: Live in an old house that has exterior metal air vent pipe--it exits the crawl space through foundation blocks (above ground), runs up the clapboard, through the roof eave. A wood cabinet has been built over that portion of the house, so now there is no easy access to working with the pipe. ...

Vent Pipe Termination [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have 4 separate 2 inch vent pipes that will be coming from different parts of the house and all pass through the attic. Is it permissible to tie all of these together in the attic so that I only have 1 3" pipe that passes through the roof? Thanks for the help Kevin

Vent pipe clog! Help [ 3 Answers ]

Well first of all the vent pipe is clog with something, toilet don't flush the washer drain gurgles, shower does not drain right either, think because of the vent problem, how do I clear my vent out, The house was like this when I bought it, and they told me that the vent is probably clog with...

Moving a vent pipe [ 5 Answers ]

I recently took out a wall that was part of a closet to make room for a double sink in the bathroom. The Vent pipe 3" was in the wall. I cut it at the floor , put a 90 to the left , went over about 2 feet then another 90 up through the ceiling into the attic where I went at a 45 to the right then...

Drain to vent pipe [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I want to add a small sink next to my toilet, it is a cement slab floor, can I drain the sink into the vent stack of the toilet. A trap will be used for the sink. I really want to stay away from busting up the floor.

View more questions Search