Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nightwolf87 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2006, 01:22 PM
    What are his true intentions?
    My boyfriend, who has a hard time communicating his feelings, approached me recently and asked my thoughts on marriage. I would like to in the future, but he has clearly stated he does not believe in marriage, that he shouldn't have to get married to commit to someone. He has been engaged in the past, but been hurt in these relationships. I don't know if his unwillingness to get married is due to past problems, or if he is testing me to see if I will still commit to him regardless of his beliefs. He brings up marriage subtly now and then, in little ways I happen to notice. I can accept if he doesn't want to get married, but I can't help but to wonder if perhaps he has other intentions in the future, and is testing me? Please help, I would really appreciate someone's opinions, thank you!
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Nov 14, 2006, 01:34 PM
    I think its important to take someone at face value when they offer up what their limits are. Because when it comes to marriage, contrary to how you painted him, he obviously has feelings and has stated them quite clearly. To not take them as accurate opens this up to some gigantic game-- ugh. If marriage is a deal breaker, then it is. The only way to know if it is or isn't is to communicate honestly. So, where this leaves you now is asking yourself can you live without marriage and if not, when you do want to leave because of it?
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2006, 04:42 PM
    You don't say how old you are or how long you've been together. I agree with Val that you should take him at his word. If marriage is important to you, and especially if you'd like it to happen sooner rather than later, then you need to tell him that you can't continue the relationship. Continuing in a relationship that isn't consistent with your true desires will just keep you from finding someone who shares your goals. I do believe that the people we attach ourselves to are reflections of ourselves in many ways, so he may be showing you that you really do have some ambivalence about marriage yourself. If that isn't true, then you needn't be afraid to break it off and move on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this true? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello everyone I'm 23 years old and I have irregular periods sometimes and a friend of mine told me that this could prevent me from ever having children is that true? Thanks in advance

Is this true? [ 12 Answers ]

All right, is it true that 30% of girls can't have orgasims or is that just false? But OK, Ive been with my boyfriend for about 5 months and I haven't had an orgasm... but, see I know the feeling. Ive had to feeling come many time before but they don't last... what do I do to keeep it! When I...

Not Sure About Intentions [ 42 Answers ]

There is a man I casually know, a friend of my husband's. I don't see him much, but recently he has started to pay attention to me. He is also married. He started coming around when I was working, and would stand next to me, very close. He calls occasionally, for little reasons. He always...

View more questions Search