Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gerard15 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2004, 06:48 AM
    Kitchen drain pipe
    In a sink located in the second floor apt kitchen the drain line under the sink draining away from the sink pitches upward into the soil pipe causing the sink to back up. What should do to remedy this? Should I also remove the old soil stack going up to the roof because of possible blockage in the stack and condition of said stack.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 2, 2004, 07:18 AM
    Re: kitchen drain pipe
    If the bottom of the sink is below the soil pipe, likely you can't fix it with raising the sink. A shallower sink might work. I actually had to raise a sink slightly that had been lowered to give children access. The children could still reach it with the bottom of the sink just above where the drain pipe went into the wall. It was more of a carpentry job than plumbing. The faucets were on flex, and I just added a new longer tail stock.

As long as the sink is above the drain, the sink should drain, although water would stand in the drain up to the level of the drain. Did it ever drain? If it did in the past and doesn't now, it may be clogged. If plunging or drain cleaner doesn't work, you need a snake, yours or the plumber's.

They put vents in because drains don't work right without them. Think replace, not remove if it is in bad shape.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 2, 2004, 07:20 AM
    Kitchen drain pipe
    Good morning Gerard, I don't know how bad your soil stack is but you're sugesting major surgery for a minor problem. If the pipe going into the wall has backpitch take the trap apart at the nut and shorten the tailpiece that connects the drain to the trap and reconnect. If there is a kitchen directly below the second floor apartment and the sink drains OK then the soil stack is fine. Your problem is local in the second floor sink. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaky kitchen drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My kitchen sink drain pipe leaks where the black U-shaped (p-trap?) screws onto the straight pipe from the sink. I've read that there is supposed to be a plastic ring or fitting that goes between the two pipes inside, and then plumbers tape on the threads where it screws together. Is...

Leaky pipe under kitchen sink [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I just moved into my new house and I have a problem with the kitchen sink. When water is just running through the sink and pipes, there is no leaking. However, when I fill up the sink with water (say to soak pots) and then let the water out, the pipes underneath leak terribly as though the...

PVC pipe to kitchen drain/strainer leak [ 3 Answers ]

How do I securely fasten the connection from the pvc pipe to the strainer? I have the plastic stopper inside the strainer nut that screws into the drain tightly but water trickles from the connection. The pvc pipe can slide up and down when the nut to the strainer is securely fastened. What do I...

Bathroom sink wall pipe drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in early 70's.. No plastic.. I'm putting in a new sink and had to remove the wall pipe that goes into the wall.. I needed a longer one. It seem where it goes in behind the wall into the plumbing there was some type of gasket as pieces of it fell out when I removed the pipe.. I...

Kitchen drain [ 1 Answers ]

I've developed a leak in the kitchen drain. Naturally, it's behind sheetrock and insulation so I had to remove that. I've been told that the problem may have been caused by the use of black ABS pipe instead of PVC. Since this drain serves my dishwasher as well as the sink, it must handle water that...

View more questions Search