Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bsoco Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2009, 12:06 PM
    Are drywall cracks in arched doorways normal? How much is normal?
    I have large, arched, drywall covered openings in my livingroom and dining areas. Some of them are showing cracks along drywall tape seams. The house is about 5 years old. My question is, how much is normal? Thanks!
    sabrewolfe Posts: 420, Reputation: 96

Dec 26, 2009, 12:13 PM
    Drwall cracks for the age of your home is normal. It happens as he house settles and the framing totally dries out. Typically, any cracks of 1/16 to an 1/8 of an inch is normal. Re-taping and finishing the cracks at this point should solve the problem without any further cracking.
    arby808 Posts: 110, Reputation: 4

Dec 26, 2009, 02:52 PM

Your home should have settled in the first 2 years arched doorways are made by putting the flexable plastic corner bead over the sheetrock mudding it 2 times once with setting mud and 1 time with all with a product called plus 3 then textured or sanded smooth how big are the cracks a picture would help where are the cracks which way do the go do they get bigger in the winter and smaller in the summer did they just start to appear is the house drywall or plaster
    karlise Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2010, 01:41 PM

Hello, depending on your archways if they are smooth or rough textured. Want an easy way out? Rent a texture gun, buy a box of mudd, all purpose compound and hook it up to a compressor at 12 psi and just texture over the cracks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My breasts! Normal, or not normal? [ 8 Answers ]

OK, so I'm 12 years old. My breasts are growing fairly quickly, and now I've reached to about a b-cup. The problem is, my right breast is growing at a much faster rate then my left breast. Now it looks ridiculously mis-matched, and my right breast even has stretch marks! I'm worried now, will it...

How many cracks are normal in a new house? [ 2 Answers ]

My house is 5 years old and 98% of all my door casings are separating at the both corners- several of the windows are separating and the fire place is also separating - by separating I mean there is now a small gap. I am worried that the house may have a structural issue.

Interior Drywall Cracks [ 1 Answers ]

5 years ago, I moved into a house that was built in 1978 and it is in S. California. The house was painted after I moved in. In addition, about a month ago the roof was replaced with light weight tile. Starting last year, I starting to see few cracks. Is it notmal? Any insight will be helpful. ...

Continued drywall cracks [ 5 Answers ]

Hey folks, I moved into a new home about 14 months ago. We had a foundation problem where the foundation cracked and one of the back corners sunk about 3 inches. The builder has fixed the foundation problem (he called in Olshan) and has fixed most of the interior problems. One problem we are...

View more questions Search