Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2009, 10:16 AM
    Needing your persuasive skills
    Currently I'm renting a house.

The landlord is a nice guy.

I'm not allowed to have pets- Hunter is pretty much a secret.

My landlord rarely comes by, but when he does, I hide the litter box, bowls, and the cat.

Here is my little problem, I want a dog.

As most of you know I can be a big scardy-cat at night and I'd feel a billion times better if I had a dog.

I've been thinking of talking to him about allowing me to get a dog, since well it's harder to hide a dog- they bark.

Like I said he's nice, he's not one of those angry landlords, so I'm needing your persuasive skills to help me convince this guy.

He's married so no funky ideas.

NOTE: I do not share this house.
    unluckynut Posts: 294, Reputation: 23

Dec 26, 2009, 02:19 PM

Maybe first you should put by your door, a chain and water bowl. This way he gets used to seeing it and tell hime how afraid you are. You want people to think you have a dog.Then keep telling him how its hard for you to get good sleep, because your afraid. This may take a little while but start working on him like this. Maybe in time he will let you have one. But you have to lay the footwork first.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 26, 2009, 02:20 PM

Ask himm what it will take, a larger deposit, Pet deposit, higher rent to cover damages or what.

If he ways no, at times you have to just move to a pet friendly home.

I never allowed pets INSIDE the house of homes I rent, it is a violation of rules and eviction is ASAP if broken.

I have always taken it as a matter of a trust broken and consider my tennants who do this are lying to me, and I take it very serious personally that if they will lie to me about this, what else will they lie about
    sabrewolfe Posts: 420, Reputation: 96

Dec 26, 2009, 02:24 PM
    I wouldn't try to con him into it. Ask him and offer to pay more rent. If he says no, respect him on it. It's more important that you have a place to live than taking the risk of getting kicked out.

Dec 26, 2009, 03:19 PM

Ya know I didn't say lie. After he knows how afraid you are you can work out the details. But this way he asks you first about the chain and the water bowl.
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2009, 03:29 PM

Oh no if he says no it's obviously a no. I had Hunter before I moved in here and I wasn't going to throw him out.

I will bring up the pet deposit idea!

Thanks!

Dec 26, 2009, 03:35 PM

Right away some people go to the dark side.I quess its better then the gutter.
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2009, 05:52 PM

Hi I just found this out.

[FYI I live in Ontario]

Q6: The landlord says I must either move out or get rid of my pet; Do I?

A6: Only if the pet is dangerous, causes allergic reactions or causes problems for other tenants or the landlord, must you get rid of your pet or consider moving elsewhere as per Landlord application to terminate tenancy based on animals.

Even if you signed a lease with a "no pets" clause, if the pet is not a problem for anybody they can not enforce it; such no pets clauses are invalid under the law.

You do not have to move or get rid of the pet unless the Board issues a written order to do so.

Taken from: http://www.ontariotenants.ca/law/law.phtml#Q6

----
    So what it's saying is...

I can get a dog and even if I signed a lease he can't kick me out unless the dog is dangerous or destructive?

Dec 26, 2009, 05:55 PM

You go girl!
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Dec 26, 2009, 07:10 PM

Before bringing up the subject to him, get all of your information together to counter any arguments that he might bring up.

1. Added expenses for him in the way of property insurance or damages. Covered by offering to pay a 'pet deposit'. Well-trained, well-behaved, well-supervised animals rarely cause any problems.

2. Why you want a dog. Protection and alarm system as well as the benefits to a growing child of caring for a pet-exercise, responsibility, etc.

3. The type of dog are you wanting to get. Some landlords are more open to small-medium sized animals but refuse larger ones, even though, the larger animal may be less aggressive or noisy. Age of the animal may also be a big factor. Small puppies, while adorable, tend to cause a lot of damage while potty training and teething. Smaller breeds (especially toy and terriers) tend to be rather loud and aggressive (these breeds can also be kind of fragile when it comes to children 'loving' on them.)

On a personal note, how will Hunter react to having a dog?
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2009, 07:24 PM

Start by reminding him of how good of a tenant you are. Pay rent on time? Quiet? Respectful of his property? Mention ALL of your positive points. Then, remind him of that you and your daughter are all alone, and that you have been having trouble sleeping because you are scared that an intruder might compromise your safety. Next, tell him that you want a dog for your daughter as a companion. Offer a deposit, and let him know that you will be a very responsible owner.

Dogs are great burgular alarms, provide a sense of security, and are very good companions.They give so much love.

We have two labs that let us know whenever someone is coming.They both are really good with our boys.

I will always have at least one dog in my life.

I am pulling for you and your little girl.

Just pour on the charm, and the facts, and he will likely cave.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2009, 07:47 PM

I went through the same thing in my old apartment. I simply explained that I had the opportunity to get a dog. I had all the information printed out (I live in Ontario as well) but he was OK with it.

The apartment I was in was a no-dogs apartment, but according to the Landlord Tenant act in Ontario, they cannot evict you for having an animal even if the lease says otherwise.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2009, 07:50 PM
    Woof woof.

I am loyal, housebroken, and kind to gorgeous girls. Kids r a plus.

Jus' saying... woof.
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2009, 07:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat1864 View Post
    Before bringing up the subject to him, get all of your information together to counter any arguments that he might bring up.

1. Added expenses for him in the way of property insurance or damages. Covered by offering to pay a 'pet deposit'. Well-trained, well-behaved, well-supervised animals rarely cause any problems.

2. Why you want a dog. Protection and alarm system as well as the benefits to a growing child of caring for a pet-exercise, responsibility, etc.

3. The type of dog are you wanting to get. Some landlords are more open to small-medium sized animals but refuse larger ones, even though, the larger animal may be less aggressive or noisy. Age of the animal may also be a big factor. Small puppies, while adorable, tend to cause a lot of damage while potty training and teething. Smaller breeds (especially toy and terriers) tend to be rather loud and aggressive (these breeds can also be kind of fragile when it comes to children 'loving' on them.)

On a personal note, how will Hunter react to having a dog?
    Thanks Cats!

1- I think I'll go with a written paper saying I'll pay and fix for any damage that the pet has made. I don't think I'll be able to afford and extra amount on my rent, I pay for utilities, insurance... ah you know the rest.

2-Yes!

3- Border Collie. Fits my life-style. I go out for jogs every morning and night. My yard is big enough for one and so is my house.

As for my house it's mainly this hard tile. I've put my own carpeting because of Rach and her many many falls while playing.

I don't really see how much damage a dog can do except for ruining my furniture and peeing on my carpets.

As for Hunter he is excellent with other animals. While I was gone in B.C. he was with 1 jack russel, 4 kids, 1 hamster and a Shih Tzu- he did great ;)
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2009, 07:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kp2171 View Post
    woof woof.

i am loyal, housebroken, and kind to gorgeous girls. kids r a plus.

jus' saying... woof.
    You dog you...

Thanks for the advice guys. I guess I greenie you guys too often. I'm spreading the rep for all of yous ;)
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Dec 26, 2009, 08:33 PM

If he needs an extreme gesture, they do sell liability insurance for pet damage, and it often includes vet bills for the pup. Look at Australian Shepherds as far as breeds go, they're quieter than Border Collies and very protective.
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2009, 11:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    If he needs an extreme gesture, they do sell liability insurance for pet damage, and it often includes vet bills for the pup. Look at Australian Shepherds as far as breeds go, they're quieter than Border Collies and very protective.
    Thanks for the tip!

I like both Australian Shepherds and Collies.

My last option would be a golden retriever.

I also like German Shepherds.

I found :

1- male collie pup for only 125$

2- German Shepherd pup for $250

3-The Australian Shepherds are about 800$! :eek: same go for the golden retrievers.

I'm searching though, it's no rush because last thing I want to do is break the bank!
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Dec 27, 2009, 05:15 AM

Let me be the first from the Dogs forum community to caution you about puppy mill dogs. The initial price is low but the vet bills get outrageous very very fast. It comes from "breeders" not paying any attention to genetics and breeding the mother until she's worn out. I'm afraid a grand is about right for a decent purebred these days, but they will be healthy and live long enough for Rach to grow up with.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2009, 05:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mudweiser View Post
    Thanks for the tip!

I like both Australian Shepherds and Collies.

My last option would be a golden retriever.

I also like German Shepherds.

I found :

1- male collie pup for only 125$

2- German Shepherd pup for $250

3-The Australian Shepherds are about 800$! :eek: same go for the golden retrievers.

I'm searching though, it's no rush because last thing I want to do is break the bank!

Ouch... got to jump in here Sarah.

You won't find a dog from a good breeder under $1000 of any breed.

There is a reason they charge so much for their puppies. The pups are fully health tested and the parents have been DNA tested for genetic problems before even being bred from.
    Not to mention reputable breeders give their pups only the best to ensure a good start in life... backyard breeders and puppy mills don't care, they give the dogs cheap crap food with no nutritional value so long as they live long enough to be sold to an unsuspecting buyer.

The only way you will get a dog 'cheap' is to adopt from a shelter.

Even then dogs aren't cheap to own, you have to consider GOOD food, worming, vaccinations, flea prevention, vet visits, toys, bedding, collar and leashes etc etc etc.

The average cost of a medium size dog is $10,000 over it's lifetime. And that doesn't include any emergency vet bills.

Sorry for the lecture but I would rather people be completely informed of the situation before they buy a dog.
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2009, 01:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Ouch... got to jump in here Sarah.

You won't find a dog from a good breeder under $1000 of any breed.

There is a reason they charge so much for their puppies. The pups are fully health tested and the parents have been DNA tested for genetic problems before even being bred from.
    Not to mention reputable breeders give their pups only the best to ensure a good start in life... backyard breeders and puppy mills don't care, they give the dogs cheap crap food with no nutritional value so long as they live long enough to be sold to an unsuspecting buyer.

The only way you will get a dog 'cheap' is to adopt from a shelter.
    The dogs that I've had were from "backyard breeders" or shelter dogs.

I do agree with you they don't "last". Some had to be put down because of some illness.

However, I'm not going to go buy a purebred dog. What's going to happen to the other puppies, don't they deserve a chance to be in a loving home? I would think so.

Even then dogs aren't cheap to own, you have to consider GOOD food, worming, vaccinations, flea prevention, vet visits, toys, bedding, collar and leashes etc etc etc.

The average cost of a medium size dog is $10,000 over it's lifetime. And that doesn't include any emergency vet bills.

Sorry for the lecture but I would rather people be completely informed of the situation before they buy a dog.
    Oh I know owning a dog doesn't come cheap. When it comes to good food, toys and collars and leashes I'm pretty set on that, a close friend of mine owns a pet store and I get 50% off everything. I get a huge bad of Purina for 10$ and that ain't half bad.

As for vet bills and shots I'm prepared for those.

I agree with you Shazzy but then again "backyard breeder" puppies deserve a chance too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Persuasive and objective essay [ 3 Answers ]

How can you treat the subject of your essay objectively while still trying to persuade readers of your point of view?

Persuasive essay [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I need to write a persuasive essay to the Senator on a smoking ban on all public places including parks, restaurants, bars, public buildings, schools, hospitals, and sports facilities. This includes the indoor facilities and 1000 feet from the buildings entrances. It doesn't have to be...

Persuasive essay [ 1 Answers ]

I am having trouble coming up with a thesis statement ,there has been so many essays done on this subject can anyone give me some ideas.The topic Is Outsourcing jobs To Foreign Countries:confused:

Persuasive essay [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I'm felicia and I want to know Ho can you treat the subject of your essay objectively while still trying to persuade readers of your point of view?

Effective persuasive writing [ 3 Answers ]

Hi class I am new and I really need help with my on line classs bad:eek: :eek:

View more questions Search