Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    survivorboi Posts: 431, Reputation: 9

Dec 24, 2009, 04:59 PM
    Creative zen microphoto 8gb sound is weird, different noises get in, distorted sound!
    I have a creative zen microphoto 8gb mp3 player that I got used. Everything seems to be working fine except when I start playing music, the sound seems distorted and I hear different noises (not from the song I'm playing). The sound of the song seems distorted, like the singer is singing really softly while the instruments are playing loudly (sometimes it's vice versa). I tried going into the system settings and checking the audio properties and all that. I tried to reset it before but it still does this. I've tried different songs too.

Any solutions? I've tried reseting it to factory setting and manually reseting it (by sticking a pen in that little reset hole). No luck.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Dec 25, 2009, 10:59 AM
    It sounds like it may be your headphones. Try a different set and see if that they're the same. It may also be a loose headphone jack on the circuitry.

Dec 27, 2009, 11:24 AM

Yeah I've tried a lot of different headphones. I don't think it's the headphone jack either because the sound seems to come from the mp3 player itself, maybe it's some kind of setting or something. If it's something wrong with the circuitry, I think I'll be able to tell the difference.
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2009, 09:33 PM

It sounds a lot like you are getting only mono as opposed to stero. When this happens, you may only get the background music and a bit of an overlay of the melody, or vice a versa.

You can look for a setting that controls this, but since you reset it already this points that it is something more. Many headphones will have a fray causing only one side to work, or the two to short out, causing similar effects. The same can happen if the solder holding the jack to the circuitry comes loose.

Also, if it has a microphone, disable it. That may help. One other thing that can cause this, is if you have the wrong type of headphones for the player. If it was designed for a headset that uses a microphone, or a slightly different jack, you can get the same problems.

Dec 29, 2009, 10:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by InfoJunkie4Life View Post
    It sounds a lot like you are getting only mono as opposed to stero. When this happens, you may only get the background music and a bit of an overlay of the melody, or vice a versa.

You can look for a setting that controls this, but since you reset it already this points that it is something more. Many headphones will have a fray causing only one side to work, or the two to short out, causing similar effects. The same can happen if the solder holding the jack to the circuitry comes loose.

Also, if it has a microphone, disable it. That may help. One other thing that can cause this, is if you have the wrong type of headphones for the player. If it was designed for a headset that uses a microphone, or a slightly different jack, you can get the same problems.
    Yes, I think it has something to do with mono and stereo settings, but I have tried to reset it to factory setting. If somebody messed with the settings, reseting it should fix the problem, right?

How do I disable the microphone?

I'm pretty sure it's not the headphone that's the problem because I've tried different headphones and none of it makes a difference. Headphone works fine on other players. :confused:
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2010, 04:09 PM
    I don't know how to disable it, but I've seen situations where it causes distortions to the current sounds coming through the headphones. What I was saying, is because of the fact that it supports a mic, it may also allow the use of a headset with a mic. The jack may be different than the headphones you are using. That could cause the mono type thing. Some are a bit longer, or have different rings around them.

Go through your manual and see if it mentions anything about a headset with a mic.

Jan 3, 2010, 09:43 AM

All right, I'll see if I can try to fix the problem. If not I'll just get a new one...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Creative zen sleek firmware [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have a creative zen sleek v0.0.7 with a firmware problem and when I turnit on it comes up with recovery mode and a list to choose from 1. clean up 2. format all 3. reload firmware 4. reboot I've tried clean up and format all and rebooted after each But when I select reload firmware it...

View more questions Search