Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    guillo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2005, 10:16 AM
    Bubbling Toilet Bowl too. Heeeeeeeeeelp!
    I'm having similar issues as the above members, but mine has a little deviation. My home is about 100 years old. I just moved in about a year and a half ago. The attic is half finish and it has a full bathroom, small, but for the most part functional. I'm sure that the bathroom is not as old as the house though, but it had to be installed after the 40's, maybe in the 50's. Unfortunately the previous owners never used the attic and the toilet and sink were in such a bad shape that I had to replace them. So far everything was fine. At first the sink was a little clogged, but Drano fixed the problem. After installing the toilet I have been experiencing flushing problems, water would come up to the top of the bowl and then slowly come back down. Sometimes it will flush for a day or two without issues, but eventually it would comeback to the same. When the problem is happening, as I flush the toilet the bathtub drain fills with water, well, water comes up the drain, but slowly drains again. Luckily the bathroom have not being used for decades and I cleaned and tried to disinfect the place several times before and after I replaced the toilet and sink. I also noticed that when I leave the water running in the sink or bathtub for a minute or so, air bubbles start coming up the toilet bowl. I already tried few commercial clog removers from Home Depot, which alleviated a little the flushing of the toilet. But after few more tries dropping paper towels in the toilet and then flushing I'm back to the same, slow draining or no draining at all (bowl would fill to the top and slowly the water would come back down). If I use the plunger in the toilet water will come up the bathtub. After few tries of using the plunger it will start working again. Still I have bubbles coming up the bowl every time I leave the sink or bathtub running for a minute or so. This attic bathroom has a separate drain line that goes all the way down to the basement. I'm new at plumbing, I don't know if this sounds like a partial block or a vent problem, or maybe both. The only thing I have not tried is to snake the vent pipe from the roof because the house is really high and the roof pitch is way too much for me. Any help, advise, or plain "just get a plumber" will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    tommytman Posts: 153, Reputation: 2

Jun 3, 2005, 07:30 PM
    This is just something I might try... Seems you have a clog below that bathroom group somewhere. If the roof is way too high then perhaps you could remove the toilet and snake from there. To do a good job you will probably need a sewer machine or call roto rooter. Roto Rooter is pretty good and they give a 30 day guarantee so if they miss it they come back for free... at least they do around here.

Wait to hear what speedball1 says. Also... don't flush paper towels or any other heavy stuff in the toilet... that can cause clogs. Only toilet paper.

Good luck.

Tom
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 9, 2005, 11:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by guillo
    I'm having similar issues as the above members, but mine has a little deviation. My home is about 100 years old. I just moved in about a year and a half ago. The attic is half finish and it has a full bathroom, small, but for the most part functional. I'm sure that the bathroom is not as old as the house though, but it had to be installed after the 40's, maybe in the 50's. Unfortunately the previous owners never used the attic and the toilet and sink were in such a bad shape that I had to replace them. So far everything was fine. At first the sink was a little clogged, but Drano fixed the problem. After installing the toilet I have been experiencing flushing problems, water would come up to the top of the bowl and then slowly come back down. Sometimes it will flush for a day or two without issues, but eventually it would comeback to the same. When the problem is happening, as I flush the toilet the bathtub drain fills with water, well, water comes up the drain, but slowly drains again. Luckily the bathroom have not being used for decades and I cleaned and tried to disinfect the place several times before and after I replaced the toilet and sink. I also noticed that when I leave the water running in the sink or bathtub for a minute or so, air bubbles start coming up the toilet bowl. I already tried few commercial clog removers from Home Depot, which alleviated a little the flushing of the toilet. But after few more tries dropping paper towels in the toilet and then flushing I'm back to the same, slow draining or no draining at all (bowl would fill to the top and slowly the water would come back down). If I use the plunger in the toilet water will come up the bathtub. After few tries of using the plunger it will start working again. Still I have bubbles coming up the bowl every time I leave the sink or bathtub running for a minute or so. This attic bathroom has a separate drain line that goes all the way down to the basement. I'm new at plumbing, I don't know if this sounds like a partial block or a vent problem, or maybe both. The only thing I have not tried is to snake the vent pipe from the roof because the house is really high and the roof pitch is way too much for me. Any help, advise, or plain "just get a plumber" will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Tommy gave you good advice. You have partial clog in the branch. I try to stay clear of pulling the toilet and snaking through the closet bend for two reasons. One, the hassle and mess of pulling the toilet and two, the snake is black and greasy when you pull it back and can really mess up a nice clean bathroom. However sometimes it just isn't practical to go down the roof vent. Snake out the line and your troubles will be over. Good luck, Tom
    angies Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2005, 10:50 PM
    Bubbling toilet
    Hello,
    Our home is about 1.5 years old and last couple days have noticed when shower in master bath is turned on, toilet begins to slowly and repeatedly bubble, rather like "belching". Have not noticed any odor and did notice this once before, about 3 months ago, but only once and not again until last two days. A friend suggested plumbing vents maybe problem, builder says not to worry about it, that it's just releasing air bubbles, mom says we should panic and assume it has something to do with our septic. We've never had septic on property and don't know what's normal and what's not. Can anyone help? :confused:
    Flickit Posts: 278, Reputation: 2

Jun 29, 2005, 05:27 AM
    Does the toilet...
    Quote Originally Posted by angies
    Hello,
    Our home is about 1.5 years old and last couple days have noticed when shower in master bath is turned on, toilet begins to slowly and repeatedly bubble, rather like "belching". Have not noticed any odor and did notice this once before, about 3 months ago, but only once and not again until last two days. A friend suggested plumbing vents maybe problem, builder says not to worry about it, that it's just releasing air bubbles, mom says we should panic and assume it has something to do with our septic. We've never had septic on property and don't know what's normal and what's not. Can anyone help? :confused:
    ... also belch when it is flushed? If not, then you probably don't have a septic tank issue. Wait for "Speedball1" to reply with an exact solution.
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 29, 2005, 06:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by angies
    Hello,
    It doesn't sound like a vent but sounds more like you have a partial blockage in your drain line. If your builder is telling you that "air bubbles" and "belching" are normal he's blowing smoke and attempting to tapdance out of any kind of responsibility. A partial blockage isn't normal and will only get worse over time. When a toilet is flushed the dischange goes down the pipe and hits a partial clog and bounces back sending a bubble of air ahead of it. This is the "belch" that you see. It then drains away until the next flush. The repair is to snake out and clear the drain line. Since you're new to septic systems let me give you a few pointers. Since the septic tank is such an essential part of a sewage system, here are some points to remember about the "care and feeding" of that part of the onsite sewage treatment system.
    A "starter" is not needed for bacterial action to begin in a septic tank. Many bacteria are present in the materials deposited into the tank and will thrive under the growth conditions present.
    If you feel that an additive is needed, be aware that some may do great harm. Additives that advertise to "eliminate" tank cleaning may cause the sludge layer to fluff up and be washed out into the drainfield, plugging soil pores. Some additives, particularly degreasers, may contain carcinogens (cancer-causing) or suspected carcinogens that will flow into the ground water along with the water from the soil treatment unit.
    Send all sewage into the septic tank. Don't run laundry wastes directly into the drainfield, since soap or detergent scum will plug the soil pores, causing failure.
    Normal amounts of household detergents, bleaches, drain cleaners, and other household chemicals can be used and won't stop the bacterial action in the septic tank. But don't use excessive amounts of any household chemicals. Do not dump cleaning water for latex paint brushes and cans into the house sewer.
    Don't deposit coffee grounds, cooking fats, wet-strength towels, disposable diapers, facial tissues, cigarette butts, and other non-decomposable materials into the house sewer. These materials won't decompose and will fill the septic tank and plug the system. To use a 5-gallon toilet flush to get rid of a cigarette butt is also very wasteful of water. Keep an ash tray in the bathroom, if necessary.
    Avoid dumping grease down the drain. It may plug sewer pipes or build up in the septic tank and plug the inlet. Keep a separate container for waste grease and throw it out with the garbage.
    If you must use a garbage disposal, you will likely need to remove septic tank solids every year or more often. Ground garbage will likely find its way out of the septic tank and plug up the drainfield. It is better to compost, incinerate, or deposit the materials in the garbage that will be hauled away. As one ad says, "You can pay me now, or pay me later."
    Clean your septic tank every 1 to 3 years. How often depends on the size of the tank and how many solids go into it. A rule of thumb is once every 3 years for a 1,000 gallon tank serving a 3-bedroom home with 4 occupants (and with no garbage disposal).
    Using too much soap or detergent can cause problems with the septic system. It is difficult to estimate how dirty a load of laundry is, and most people use far more cleaning power than is needed. If there are lots of suds in your laundry tub when the washer discharges, cut back on the amount of detergent for the next similar load. It's generally best not to use inexpensive detergents which may contain excessive amounts of filler or carrier. Some of these fillers are montmorillonite clay, which- is used to seal soils! The best solution may be to use a liquid laundry detergent, since they are less likely to have carriers or fillers that may harm the septic system.
    Each septic system has a certain capacity. When this capacity is reached or exceeded, there will likely be problems because the system won't take as much sewage as you want to discharge into it. When the onsite sewage treatment system reaches its daily capacity, be conservative with your use of water. Each gallon of water that flows into the drain must go through the septic tank and into the soil absorption unit. Following are some ways to conserve water that should cause little hardship in anyone's standard of living:
    Be sure that there are no leaking faucets or other plumbing fixtures. Routinely check the float valve on all toilets to be sure it isn't sticking and the water isn't running continuously. It doesn't take long for the water from a leaking toilet or a faucet to add up. A cup of water leaking out of a toilet every minute doesn't seem like much but that's 90 gallons a day! So be sure that there is no water flowing into the sewer when all water-using appliances are supposed to be off.
    The most effective way to reduce the sewage flow from a house is to reduce the toilet wastes, which usually account for about 40 percent of the sewage flow. Many toilets use 5 to 6 gallons per flush. Some of the so-called low water use toilets are advertised to use only 3.5 gallons per flush. Usually the design of the bowl hasn't been changed, however, and often two flushes are needed to remove all solids. That's 7 gallons! Toilets are available which have been redesigned and will do a good job with one gallon or less per flush. Using a 1-gallon toilet rather than a 5 gallon toilet will reduce sewage flows from a home by about a third. This reduction may be more than enough to make the sewage system function again. While prices may vary, 1.6 gallon toilets can usually be purchased in the $200 range, far less than the cost of a new sewer system. Baths and showers can use lots of water. "Setting up camp" in the shower with a shower head flow of 5 gallons per minute will require 100 gallons in 20 minutes. Shower heads that limit the flow to 1.5 or 2 gallons per minute are available and should be used. Filling the tub not quite so full and limiting the length of showers will result in appreciable water savings.
    Is the water from the faucet cold enough to drink? How long do you let it run to cool down? Keep a container of drinking water in the refrigerator. Then it won't be necessary to run water from your faucets in order to get a cool drink.
    There may be other ways to conserve water that you can think of in your home. The main idea is to consider water as a valuable resource and not to waste it.
    Following a few simple rules like not using too much water and not depositing materials in the septic tank that bacteria can't decompose should help to make a septic system trouble-free for m, too! Any years. But don't forget the septic tank does need to be cleaned out when too many solids builtreatment system.
    With a water meter you can determine how much water your automatic washer uses per cycle. Many washers now have settings to reduce the amount of water used for small loads. Front loading washers and suds savers use less water than top loading machines. If your sewage treatment system is reaching its maximum capacity, try to spread the washing out during the week to avoid overloading the sewage system on a single day. Septic tanks need tender, loving care too. Good luck, Tom
    angies Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2005, 12:52 PM
    Thanks so much!
    Speedball1, WOW, thanks so much for your reply... :) will feel much better as do-it-yourselfer and homeowner with support like yours! Thanks again, will heed advice and let you know results. Take care!
    heatherfitz Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2005, 12:32 PM
    Backing up when using the washer
    I've read the other posts about the bubbles in the drain lines. I am having a similar problem. Let me start by saying that about 1.5 years ago my husband took out a sink that was in our basement. All he did was disconnet it and cap it off. It was located right before the cleanout. Since he did this we are having problems when doing the laundry. When the water is emptying we will get some bubbles in the toilet (last on the line before the cleanout) and then the water will back up into the bathtub (located right next to the toilet). I would have said it was a clog of some sort but it only seems to happen when the weather gets colder outside. The last time we had this problem was in march/april. At that time we had a plummer come in and snake out the line from the toilet to the cleanout and from the cleanout to the town's main line. We still had the problem after he left as well. Then the weather got nice and it never happened again until now. While the last plummer was here he also got up on the roof and ran the garden hose down it to make sure there wasn't a blockage with the vent. There wasn't. He was at a loss and didn't know what else to tell us. I am wondering if it could be a venting problem since it only started happening after the sink was removed. The guy who owned the house before us did his own stuff and put the sink in. He didn't have the right stuff to do the pipes properly so he put 2 pieces together and just put silicon on it and tape. Thinking about it now when it was there we would always get a sewage smell in the basement when doing the laundry. I am at a loss. I really hate to have the lines snaked again since we still had the same problem before after having it snaked. I think you asked someone else about opening the cleanout and observing it. That was done and when the cleanout is open all is fine and there are no bubbles and backup into the bathtub. I hope I am not confusing you. Any help you could give me would be much appreciated.
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 9, 2005, 01:14 PM
    Hi Heather,

" I think you asked someone else about opening the cleanout and observing it. That was done and when the cleanout is open all is fine and there are no bubbles and backup into the bathtub."

Which tells me that there is back pressure somewhere on down the line to the city main. By bet would be at the raiser,( where your sewer connects to the city main.) your plumber didn't get it. This clog isn't bad enough to backup when you drain a sink or flush but a washer pump discharges with great force and volume send a lot of water down the line in a very short time. The "bubble" occurs when all that water hits the partial clog and bounces back sending a bubble or air ahead of it. This isn't a vent problem unless your hubby capped off the sink vent, Sooner or later you're going to hafta snake out the line to the street. Good luck, Tom

Dec 9, 2005, 05:33 PM
    I mentioned before that we had the lines snaked. The last guy that was in did snake out the line from the house to the main towns sewer line. I know that he got all the way out because the towns workers were also here at the same time and they lifted the manhole cover and made sure that the snake was all the way out of our line and in the main. He did remove some small amount of roots but nothing to really talk about. What is confusing me the most about this is why we don't have any problems in the nicer weather. If there was a partial blockage wouldn't it happen any time of year? Right now (and when it seems to happen) is in the spring and fall when things are still cold but there is some melting. I should also mention to you that our sewer line is higher then the bottom of the foundation so the washer dosen't drain directly into the lines. It empty's into a sink and then has to be pumped up and out into the line. I don't know if that would make any difference. Is it possible to put in another vent to the outside by the cleanout for the air to escape there instead of coming back up to the toilet? I'm just grasping at straws here trying to think of things since I've talked to about 4 plumbers and the town and no one seems to know what I am talking about.

Dec 9, 2005, 05:35 PM
    By the way... THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!! I really appreciate it.
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 10, 2005, 06:09 AM
    Good morning Heather,

You're really using your head when you ask, "Is it possible to put in another vent to the outside by the cleanout for the air to escape there instead of comming back up to the toilet? I'm just grasping at straws here trying to think of things since I've talked to about 4 plumbers and the town and no one seems to know what I am talking about."
    Bingo! The sink vent should exhaust the bubble if it's not blocked but since it don't the next best thing would be to install a capped vent next to the outside clean out. That would keep the sewer gas out of your home. You may be able to adapt a threaded raiser to attach the capped vent to off the cleanout but if you can't a tee will have to be cut into the sewer and a raiser brought up to grade for the vent to connect to. Good luck, Tom
    salas24 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2005, 10:51 PM
    Help Plumbing Problem Too!!
    I sure hope I am posting this in the proper place, if not I do apologize in advance. Here is our problem. My husband and I recently moved in to a house and noticed that our master bathroom had slow drainage. After about a week or two our toilet began to have flushing problems. When the toilet is flushed water fills to the top without flushing and then after about 10-15 minutes it goes back down at times leaving very little water in the bowl. There are times when it works properly, so we are not sure what the problem could be. We also noticed that when the shower is on in the same bathroom the toilet bubbles or gurgles. It does the same thing when the sink is used as well. We have another bathroom in the house and its usage does not seem to affect the main bathroom at all, everything seems to be working properly with no slow drainage or toilet problems. We are also experiencing problems with our clothes washer drain. The water flows back up when draining in the rinse cycle, but if you fiddle with the washing machine as it is draining and keep it from a continuous water flow the water does exit only it doesn't seem to work properly when the gush is one big flow. And lastly, I just recently noticed that the water I use when washing dishes in my kitchen seems to be exiting out of a vent/hole in the wall located on the side to our backyard. I do apologize as I do not know what this is called. :) I don't think this is normal and I am not sure the water should be exiting this way. This was not the case prior to moving in and we are wondering if it has to do with some type of blockage. We were informed that the plumbing was redone. There is new piping in the bathrooms, kitchen and washing room, but we can't tell you the extent of the work as we are newbies to this entire process. Please advise at your convenience. Your input will be greatly appreciated. Both my husband and I have no knowledge when it comes to plumbing and we want to make sure that when we do have someone out we at least have some idea of what the possible problem may be and not be charged for something that isn't.
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 13, 2005, 07:07 AM
    You've come to the right place. And your complaint is very detailed, however you failed to tell us whether you're on city sewer or a septic tank system.
    This is a detail we have to know before we can answer your question. I'll be waiting for your answer. Cheers, Tom

Dec 13, 2005, 12:04 PM
    Thanks Tom, I'm showing it is a public sewer system, so I assume it is a city sewer. Hope this helps and thank you once again for your quick reply.
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 13, 2005, 03:41 PM
    If you had a septic tank I would have advised you to see if the tank needed pumping. You are describing a blocked vent in your main bathroom. Have the lavatory vent in the main bathroom snaked and cleared.
    That was a vent problem, however the kitchen and washer problem's a drainage problem. The branch's gota partial clog and the drain needs to be snaked out from the kitchen roof vent. If the areas are what was repiped then I would call back the plumbing company. You shouldn't be having this kind of trouble with new work. Did you purchase this home or are you renters? Regards, Tom

Dec 13, 2005, 09:01 PM
    Hello Tom, again thanks for your quick reply. We will have both of these matters looked at. You have given us some relief in knowing that we will be going into this situation with at least a bit more knowledge. Unfortunately, the home was a purchase in "as-is" condition. When we had our home inspected the inspector advised us the plumbing was redone and he did mention it was a very good job at that so we didn't think anything major would come of it. OOPS! :( The slow drainage to the bathroom sinks were easily resolved as the drain plungers were too low. Once adusted they worked fine. The only thing that continued was the master shower which initially drained slowly yet now it seems to have gotten worse, which is why we stopped using it. These other issues are nightmares we are hoping will not cost us an arm and a leg as someone suggested that the problem may be coming from the plumbing not related to the work done inside, but on the outside which I would assume would have to do with whatever is underground outdoors. Luckily we do have a home warranty, although we are not sure what all it is they will cover. We are keeping our fingers crossed at this point! :) Either way, thank you so much for your input. I will definitely keep you posted to what happens. Glad I found this forum! Best Wishes!

-Mary
    jim dandy Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2006, 07:26 PM
    Toilet trap blowing
    jim dandy I am a plumber first time visiting the web for answers to plumbing problems but I have a customer that lives in a two bath ranch on a slab! And when they discharge the washer on the second load not the first the master toilet which is the farthest upstream fixturwe in the system whitch is a wet vented bathroom group the trap blows some info that will be helpful is I have already snaked all vents in the system I ran a camera from the master pot all the way to the main in the city sewer it was clean as a whistle no puddling no bellys no clogs no breaks the double lavs carry the vent for the bathroom and the laundry has its own vent as well and they are tied together right at the vtr with no back fall in the vents or any drains in the house and the toilet is less than 6 feet from the vent with no offsets can you shed any light on this problem
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 17, 2006, 06:32 AM
    Hey Jim, I like the way you frame a question. You touched on all the facts and gave a rundown on what you've done so far.
    You have done everything I would have done if this were my call. Has this problem come on suddenly or has it been a ongoing problem for the home owner? Where in relation to the washer is the toilet that bubbles up? The fact the it takes two washer loads to do this tells me the problem may be in the drainage design. Drainage pipes that can't handle the volume the washer puts into them. Let's "noodle" back and forth on this and perhaps come up with something. I'll toss out ideas and you can shoot them down. Regards, Tom PS. I'm a retired plumber with over 50 years out in the field.
    jim dandy Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2006, 08:51 PM
    This is a new construction house plumbed under the new washer rules with 3"to the tee at the washer box and the toilet in question is upstream about 15' and in that bathroom group starting from the pot and going down stream towards the 3"wye that picks up the washer it goes pot double lavs (vent) shower then about a 10' run down to the 3"wye for the washer witch is on a 10' developed length branch we have also tried this with the vents cut wide open to the attic let me throw this at you what do you think about the presence of soap into the drain the first cycle has more soap than the next but it only blows on the 2nd cycle and after it blows you can drain both master lavs at the same time and it will blow the toilet and will blow it less and less each time you drain them up to 4 times cocecutively and then starts over to where you must run a load of laundry with soap and on the 2nd cycle it blows the toilet and starts all over again if you don't put soap in the washer it won't blow the pot until you doon the 2nd cycle I know this sounds both like a vent problem and a back up problem but I have video proof the drain is not blocked or holding water in any way and in this plat we have done this model several times the same way with no problems except this one and also the washer is old not in any way a new style washer house is 1 year old

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bubbles out from jets [ 2 Answers ]

My 2 pool jets are releasing small bubbles, seeking advice on where the air may be getting in

Bubbles in toilet bowl [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I just found this site and am looking forward to exploring it later, but right now I have this problem with the toilet. A large wad of paper was flushed down it and backed it up. I used the plunger and cleared the clog but now when I flush it, bubbles come up in the bowl part and it seems to...

Air bubbles [ 1 Answers ]

Flush 1 toilet and air bubbles in second toilet

Gushing Bubbles [ 1 Answers ]

Hi every time I let the water out of my bathtub I get a large amount of bubbles gushing out of the toilet bowl?? :confused:

Bubbles in Both Bowls [ 1 Answers ]

I have a very slow flushing pair of toilets in my garden apartment. They have air bubbles coming into the bowls speratically and there is noise in both of the sink drains when plunged. Fluid will drain out but no way on anything else. Help!! I have no place to go! :eek:

View more questions Search