Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EdBee1515 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2009, 08:32 PM
    How to Evict a 19 year old from your home?
    I have an 19 year old son who is popping pills, getting high, abusive, does not work or contribute anything meaningful to the home; doesn't go to school, clean house, etc.. and to top it all off, recently had me arrested for slapping him in the mouth, for being disrespectful to me. I just basically want him Evicted from my home legally! Please advise most efficient way. Thank you
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2009, 08:39 PM

Try, "Ok, buddy. Outta here!" If it's your home and you have no contract with him, there's no need to go through legal procedures. Don't be an enabler.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 23, 2009, 08:42 PM

You can try that but from what you describe he'll tell you where to go. Follow the eviction process in your state, where do you live? This will likely take more than 30 days.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 23, 2009, 09:09 PM

First why not merely call the police turn him in for the drugs, and let him go to jail.

But you give them written notice to move, ( according to your state law) if he is suppose to pay rent and is not, you evict for non payment, if not just a notice to move , normally 30 days)
    Then if he is not moved you file for eviction in court
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Dec 24, 2009, 09:14 AM

He's your son, right? He's of legal age. You don't have to support him, legally. Right? As Fr_Chuck so eloquently stated, call the cops and turn him in. If the cops don't take him, check with a lawyer as to whether you have to give your 19-year-old drug addict son notice to move.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 24, 2009, 10:14 AM

Eiction takes time, maybe enough time for him to think about how he is acting. Calling the police may back fire on the home owner who knowing allowed drugs into the home for some time and did nothing. A guy I know had his son pulled over by the police who found drugs in the cra. The police now have the kid and dads car.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I evict my 18 year old daughter? [ 7 Answers ]

HOw do I evict my 18 year old daughter? (this is the hardest site I have ever used).

Evict an 18 year old [ 6 Answers ]

My daughter will turn 18 in 2008. She has been in Juvenile Detention for assault of me and of my younger daughter, and for vandalism. She spent 4 months in the County Juvenile Detention Home. She is disrespectful and DOES Not want to follow the household rules. She has ran away several times...

How to Evict 19 Year Old Step Daughter From Home [ 15 Answers ]

Hi, I live in Georgia with my husband and his two grown children (ages 22 and 19) for the last 10 years. The 19 year old is into drugs and drinking and is constantly laying out of work (if she even has a job) and bringing her drug friends into our home when we are not there. There is evidence she...

Evict 16 year old from in UK [ 1 Answers ]

I do not want my 16 year to live at home. What right I and he has and what is the process

View more questions Search