Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Willis3000 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2009, 01:25 PM
    Laws to protect seniors' homes against health debt collectors and Medicaid
    My parents are approaching retirement age, and will soon begin drawing social security. They have no other savings to fall back on, but they do own their home outright. They will be relying on Medicare and Medicaid in the future as it stands now.

They are concerned what would happen if they ever needed long-term care (like a nursing home) which (we believe) could be funded by Medicaid.
    They wish to keep their home to pass on to their children, and they are concerned that Medicaid might require them to sell their home. A retirement councelor advised them recently that this might happen, in which case they (my parents) would each receive $20,000 of the proceeds in exchange for Medicaid paying their long term care bills. Is this true, or aren't there laws to protect seniors from this kind of "property seizure"?

If not, they are thinking about transferring title of the house to one of their kids. Would that be an adequate measure to protect their home?

Thanks in advance!
    Lewis
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 23, 2009, 02:02 PM

If your parents go to a nursing home and can not pay the balance of what the home charges, then the nursing home is allowed to come after property that they own.It is common and happens every day that the debtor, ( the nursing home) takes the home in payment for the debts that are owed.But one way to stop it, is for you and the other children to either keep the elderly parents in your home, or for all of you to merely pay the balance of the nursing home fees.I believe the balance of my dads nursing home was about 1400 a month that was not covered.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How many debt collectors can collect for same debt? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I received a letter back in May from debt collector. I responded certified mail requesting proof that I personally guaranteed the debt. (business debt) and any further contact should be written. Received letter from original creditor stating to worked with collections agency, followed by...

TN laws on Mobile Homes [ 5 Answers ]

I bought a mobile home in 2001 and went to file a insurance claim on it. The insurance co refused to pay because it was due to manufacturer defects ( no h clips, improper installation of roofing compounds ext. ) It was deemed a total lose. Since then the co. I bought it from and the manufacturer...

Debt Collectors [ 1 Answers ]

I have many debts. I have one specific debt collector calling 5 or 6 times in a row when I don't answer. I have no extra money to pay. I am on disability and my husband has no income since he had a heart attack - so we are just getting by on disability. I have a Debt Collector who left a...

Debt collectors [ 2 Answers ]

I owe a debt to Starwood Vacation Owners (timeshare). They placed the debt for collection with a debt collector in 2005. A "second" debt collector has tried to collect on this same in 2007. My question is: How can two debt collectors collect on the same debt? THIS APPEARS ON MY CREDIT REPORT AS IF...

Debt collectors [ 6 Answers ]

Is there a time limit to collecting a debt?

View more questions Search