Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SemiMBA Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2009, 08:52 AM
    Use of ideal gas law for compressed gas cylinders of NH3
    How would I figure out the volume of gas inside of a 200 size (9" x 51") of NH3 (ammonia) @ 114 psia?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2009, 10:03 AM

Sorry, but I don't quite understand you here.

You want to find the volume of ammonia in the cylinder?

Well, the volume of the ammonia fills the cylinder, meaning that the cylinder has the same volume as the ammonia.

The equation for ideal gas is:

If you have the pressure, the temperature and the amount of moles (or mass) of ammonia, then you can find the volume of ammonia.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2009, 10:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SemiMBA View Post
    How would I figure out the volume of gas inside of a 200 size (9" x 51") of NH3 (ammonia) @ 114 psia?
    You may have to do it by weight since ammonia deviates substantially from the ideal gas equation. You need to subtract the tare weight of the cylinder from the total weight in order to get the weight of ammonia.

http://www.ecourses.ou.edu/cgi-bin/e....2&page=theory

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ideal gas equation [ 5 Answers ]

if I wanted to find the amount of moles of oxygen gas produced during a decomposition reaction, given the pressure, temperature and volume. Could I change the ideal gas equation "pv=nrt" to make n the subject? How would I rearrange this equation? :confused:

Ideal Gas problem [ 4 Answers ]

Convert: 5.6 liters of H2 at STP to molecules

Ideal gas law [ 1 Answers ]

How I calculate Nitrogen weigth by using Volume is 10 Nm3 Temp 40 Degree and Pressure is 10 MPa

Algebra: Ideal Gas Law [ 1 Answers ]

I'm unsure how to approach this equation using the ideal gas law; P=KT/V. P=80, T=100, V=5. 80 = 100K/5 ---- Did I set up the equation right?

Nitrogen gas cylinders [ 4 Answers ]

Gas weight and charged pressure of nitrogen cylinders available in Indian market? Can the gas from nitrogen cylinder bank be used for purging of Reheating furnaces (during emergency shut down) at a much lower pressure through pressure regulator and distribution pipework?

View more questions Search